Pop Filter

guitargirl7

I’m looking for a decent, stable, long lasting pop filter for recording, and am unsure what to buy. Being new to the recording world, I don’t want to buy something that’ll last a few months. I know that there are many on ebay and guitar center and such, but I'm not sure where to start. I don’t need an expensive metal pop filter, just a standard one. Any suggestions/advice from experience would be great!

Thank you!

Yeah, but the mount will piss you off. I have a version that has the same mounting rig, but it is one of the metal types. The nut at the base of the screen, seems cheezy. Much easier to wash the metal ones, but I actually still use the nylons on coathanger in addition to the metal one. Hell, sometimes I just use a 7B without any pop filter or stand. I just let the singer do what they want. Roll around on the floor and just sing. Sometimes I just make a bunch of bacon, and forget about recording all together. lol!

A pop filter is most necessary when using a condenser mic, on axis, that is sensitive to splosives and the familiar 'ess's'. One technique is to not actually sing directly into the mic. This being said, it is not common for this to even be an issue IME, if the singer has learned how to work a mic, or at least project their voice appropriately. That is however, not typical lately. I need to stop doing metal I guess.

:)

I'm with Jimmy. To a large extent, a pop screen is a pop screen--even my oldest cheapie (from Maplins as that will tell Brits just how cheap and nasty) is still going strong. The difference between bad and good is how well it clamps onto your stand.

I got a metal stedman years ago and it's awesome. If I had to do it over again, I would just have gotten the cheapy $15 one. I don't think most home studios need a $50 pop screen.

I have the exact same one and it is decent. Easy to move about since its a gooseneck

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the screw that tightens it to the mic stand.. it will dig into your stand and mark it.

Really? That rubber end should prevent it from doing that.

Back