Podcast signal chain

wheelema

Boner-obo
Helping a friend to kick off a podcast. The wisdom of this is debatable but regardless it's going to consist of a remote talent using a Plantronics headset into a POTS line which will in turn route (via POTS) into a JK Audio Broadcast Host digital hybrid.

The local talent will be using headphones and a Shure dynamic headset mic into the Broadcast Host. The Broadcast Host will route through the A/D/A converters into Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio and a digital recorder is going to be hooked in for redundancy. Going to look into Waves Vocal Rider, and only experimentation will determine if I'm going to need to drop a compressor in there. Hopefully not as it would complicate the signal chain significantly.

This is as clean and inexpensive a signal chain as I've been able to come up with. If anyone can think of a better please jump in.

Seems pretty good to me. Honestly, in the podcast I run, we try to run everything through the audio interface we have (US-1641) and use a DAW to record it. We also use an external computer to get in remote talent. We use the DAW to route the audio to a specific out that includes everyone except for the remote caller. We use that line for the microphone on the skype computer. Not sure if that kind of a setup would work, but skype could give you better audio quality. Good choice on the talents headset, thats what Leo Laporte recommends for his podcasts (if he needs a cheap good quality mic).

Seems pretty good to me. Honestly, in the podcast I run, we try to run everything through the audio interface we have (US-1641) and use a DAW to record it. We also use an external computer to get in remote talent. We use the DAW to route the audio to a specific out that includes everyone except for the remote caller. We use that line for the microphone on the skype computer. Not sure if that kind of a setup would work, but skype could give you better audio quality. Good choice on the talents headset, thats what Leo Laporte recommends for his podcasts (if he needs a cheap good quality mic).

Thank you for that Eric. I was looking at PodcastAnswerMan.com and found his recommended signal chain less then ideal. In my own efforts I've noticed a tendency to lean towards and then away from the mic which... as I know you are well aware... makes the voice unpleasantly uneven. For voiceovers I've used a chair that doesn't provide that luxury but these guys are incendiary and like to gestulate as they drive home an argument making a boom mounted mic impractical.

Listened to your Valentines Day podcast. You have a great mix of personalities. Hope you can keep it up.

NAMM 2012 is coming up and I'm hoping to get out there before I pull the trigger on the JK Audio Broadcast Host.

Back