pitch: headphones vs. speakers

famous beagle

I rarely trust headphones when it comes to pitch (intonation), so after I've recorded a vocal (or a vocal of anyone), for example, I always listen through speakers. Often times something can sound ok on headphones but a little pitchy through speakers.

Does anyone else have this experience? If so, and if it's kind of a universal thing, does anyone know what the reasoning could be?

Thanks

Yeah, I've had it happen sometimes. But going even further, there's been times when I've recorded vocals or someone else's vocals and listening back, they've sounded OK. Then when I go back a little bit later {it might be a day or five months}, they sound off, even in headphones.
Not that long ago, I did a vocal to a song and it sounded perfectly in tune with the bass. It was only when my friend was doing the harmony vocal that I thought my vocal was off. She thought it was OK but I could tell I was off. In the end, I re~did the vocal and sang to her perfectly pitched harmony which had been sung to my 'off' vocal which she had thought was in tune !
Quite often, when I'm recording the vocal, I'll have one can off my ear so I can hear my voice. What I've noticed is that this happens more when I sing against the bass than when I sing against the guitar or piano.
Maybe it's a combination of being glad it's done and therefore not listening as closely as I should and a kind of ear fatigue. I'm usually pretty sharp at spotting pitchiness in others and myself at the time though.

Singing against a bass can often bring pitchy performeances, I guess because it's so much lower than the vocal pitch.

Not sure why there would be a headphone vs speaker pitch difference, though, unless its a factor of ear fatigue from the headphones.

With headphones, if you tilt the head to the left, they go flat, to the right they go sharp. Be very careful to keep the head still.

Back