Phillips CDR870

Benreturns

Just got one of these for my dad and i havent a clue how to work it! Thought it would be easy. He wants to record from a tape deck onto a CD. The CDR has analogue inputs/outputs so I have been routing the tape decks speaker outputs to the (1/8" phonos) Inputs on the CDR. No signal seems to be going through. It when i insert a CD into the unit it displays "OPC". After a while this changes to OPCFAIL and flashes before resting on a blank (presumably record ready screen)

Press record with a tape playing nothing happens. Not even anything from L/R meter indicators which makes me think the thing might be bust. Got it from ebay at £29.99 and the chap says last time he tried it it worked and he will offer a refund if it doesnt.

Before i go back to him i wondered if anyone here had any experience with this machine?? Cheers!

Oh i though i might add - it plays regular CD's perfectly well when i reverse the cables round.

Your problem might be the type of CDR you are using. The Philips recorders require "Audio" CDR's, instead of regular data CDR's.

Sounds like your unit is scanning the disk (OPC) and it fails (OPCFAIL) because you are not using the correct cdr type.

Did it come with a manual?

I agree - you cannot use standard CD-R's for this. You must buy some that say "Audio CD" or "Music CD". I have a Philips unit myself and it's a requirement. Check online to see if a manual is available. Also, check to see if you need some sort of preamp after the cassette and before the CD recorder (like a standard stereo receiver). I don't know if your recorder has a preamp in it to compensate or not, but it's doubtful. Don't want to add to your confusion, but if you didn't get the manual, you'll have to check a few things out. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Hey thanks guys, i think you might have solved it - im just using standard CDR's (which work ok on my masterlink). I feel kinda bad cause i only got this for my dad because i never had time to transfer his old tape demos to my masterlink. Thought it would be straight forward!
It didnt come with a manual (hence less the £25 price) but i can download one from a website i know.

Will keep you posted!

Might try a different brand, did you try using multiple discs from that lot? My Pioneer PDR-509 has a monitor button that lets you let the signal pass through without sending it to the rest of the unit, kinda like a bypass function that still lets me monitor the input signal. Check to see if yours has something similar, if it does, try it out, easy way to make sure it's receiving a signal. Other than that I can't really think of anything. On mine, when I press record, it puts the unit into "standby" and I have to push "play" for the actual recording to begin. /shrug

hey thanks for the help guys. V helpfull :)

Im going to try a different brand of CDR's (maybe some phillips ones lol) and wish14 - il have a good look over that manual. Cheers buddy

Benreturns said:
hey thanks for the help guys. V helpfull :)

Im going to try a different brand of CDR's (maybe some phillips ones lol) and wish14 - il have a good look over that manual. Cheers buddy
I have a 770.

The discs must say "digital audio" on them, like this-

ez_willis -

Just checked the brand I was using and they do say digital audio on them so im stumped. I think I will try a different brand of CDR. Im using JVC discs at the moment.

Hope i havent got a dud recorder!

Benreturns said:
ez_willis -

Just checked the brand I was using and they do say digital audio on them so im stumped. I think I will try a different brand of CDR. Im using JVC discs at the moment.

Hope i havent got a dud recorder!
The OPC Fail is a disc failure. Try another brand. I use tdk.

Make sure that your 'Source' is selected correctly, too. There's a button on the front that says 'Source', press it until it reads 'Analog'.

bigtoe said:
yo - the cdrs have to say 'for consumer'...not just the for music cdrs.

fuck the riaa.

Mike
They do not need to say for consumer on them.

And a portion of the price of those discs go to people that have songs published. The RIAA is generating revenue for people like myself because of the lost income that copying discs creates.

Fuck you.

Now now boys

Cheers EZ.. i have checked the setting and its set to analogue (is it me or does no other button actually DO anything when pressed?). My next step will be to obtain some different kind of discs... Ive emailed the seller asking his advice.

Benreturns said:
Now now boys

Cheers EZ.. i have checked the setting and its set to analogue (is it me or does no other button actually DO anything when pressed?). My next step will be to obtain some different kind of discs... Ive emailed the seller asking his advice.

Not sure what the 870 looks like, but the 770 has a simple interface, and yes all the buttons do something.

I have the demo video for the 770, the 870 couldn't be that much different.

If you want the video PM me with your address.

ez_willis said:
They do not need to say for consumer on them.

And a portion of the price of those discs go to people that have songs published. The RIAA is generating revenue for people like myself because of the lost income that copying discs creates.

Fuck you.

well, when i had the panasonic consumer cd burner, they sure did...and they cost 3 times the price. if that's changed, my mistake. i have had the same issues.

the discs that say "for music" a lot of times did not work in this type of burner marketed to consumers. my guess was the 'for music' at one point was kinda a marketing tool but i dunno - i've for sure had the same problem.

tdk from best guy or comp usa seemed to always work well.

the riaa argument i'll skip as it's a no win, but suffice it to say they fucked themselves long before i just flipped em off.

good luck on the burner...

Mike

haven't read all the replys here but there's a switch on the back to flip between digital and analog input....if I remember correctly. You'll want it set to analog

It is not true that you have to use 'Audio' or 'Music' CDRs. The whole reason I bought the 870 some umpteen years ago is because it has the ability to use virtually any CDRs. You need to first put in an Audio CDR and then once the unit has read it, you can pull open the drawer with your finger nail, put in any CDR, close it, and continue. :)

Back