OT. frustrating

scorpio01169

you know i go to alota recording forums and there always seems that a newbee will come in and say i have $300 whats the best gear to record my band or beats? i dont have too much of a problem with that cause i simply dont have to answer it, however when someone one the streets ask me if i can help them with their home studio and they only have two or three hundred dollars to work with. that pisses me off. when will MTV, BET, and all the other music networks stop lying to these kids telling them they can just jump into this thing with little or no money? i watch these shows on how an artist comes up, but they never show the money spent on this artist. or they they show this artist in the studio just hanging around but they never show the studio owners paying the cost of that studio. i just feel that if the story is gonna be told, tell the whole story and maybe it will let these wanna be producers that it aint all it's cracked up to be and that you are not under ANY way are you gonna have a $300 studio.

The problem is this ...

The person recording with you says to themselves "Wow, this guy I'm recording with seems like a complete idiot."

And from there, they figure if someone like you can do it ... then certainly anyone with half a brain cell can. So it gives them hope and inspiration.

:D

I wasn't talking about you, specifically.

I was pretty much talking about all of us, myself included. People basically think we're idiots, and we therefore offer them hope and inspiration.

i've seen on MTV where some stupid ass says something like that...

'get a ___ and a ___ for under $XXX an ya'll be good to go'.

my ass. this shit takes more than a couple hundred bucks and a dream. after recording for over a year, i have little more to show than three 30 second clips of things that i'm really happy with.

it is frustrating, because people get the idea that anyone can do it with minimal effort. i dont know, but i've put hundreds of hours into practicing, tracking, mixing etc and i'm like just getting the hang of it.

so what if i have half a brain cell.. theres DEPTH to that half a brain cell!! :D :D

like that fool maybe 2 threads down that wants to know where to add 'R3v3rb'... he's another joke inspired by asshole hosts on gay MTV shows...

oh, wait, let me get my MPC and write a song about how i fucked my second cousin and smoked some dope ass l's... and i'll say nigga alot too, because that's what all the cool cats do.

This is probably the stupidest thread I've ever read! haha

To the OP: hey assclown, get off your f*cking pedestal. No, you can't make a multi-million-dollar studio recording with $300. F*cking Duh. But you can get a great start making your own music, especially if it's mostly electronic. And guess what? You weren't born a goddamn recording engineer, you were a n00b just like everybody else. But is it so bad to have an influx of fresh minds into the mixing field? Yeah, most of 'em will never amount to anything, but that's true of all of us unfortunately. At least it's getting people interested! And who knows what's possible with $300 of equipment these days? You can certainly make cheap starter demos for that much. Recording is just getting ideas "down on paper", so to speak. How you do it and how well you do it isn't necessarily directly related to the amount of cash in your pocket. If that were true, most of us wouldn't be here and that's a fact.

So cool down, drink a beer, sit back & relax. It's gonna be ok!

Actually, I kind of agree with the Scorpio on this one.

But I do find it rather humorous that he then proceeds to list about $300 worth of equipment in his sig. :D

I hate when people don't seperate their thoughts into paragraphs, and use run-on sentences, but that's just me.

No one ever asks for my advice on recording, so I'm good there.

chessrock said:
Actually, I kind of agree with the Scorpio on this one.

But I do find it rather humorous that he then proceeds to list about $300 worth of equipment in his sig. :D

Haha it seems you and I disagree on a great many things of late! We appear destined to dislike eachother... oh well :p

yeah, you're all a bunch of tools except steveh...you obviously don't have the talent, so you have to hide behind equipment, that's all...i can make professional recordings on a wal-mart boom-box tape recorder...cause i'm extremely talented...i don't waste my time making up excuses...i just do it...and if the song is a good song, it really doesn't matter how it was recorded or how much money it ran through before it got on cd...chances are if you are recording at home, it's because you like to record, not because you want to produce the next pussycat dolls cd...wtf?? why would you ever discourage some one from trying something they might like...esp. if they aren't really sure if they can do it or not....yeah, go buy $12,000 worth of crap, try to figure out how to use it, and then totally give up on it in a week when you can't figure it out...or spend $300 on a tascam portastudiuo and a sm57 and try it out for a while, then you can move on to bigger and better if you like...yeah, and i'm sure you were a professional recording engineer when you were born, right? you F@kin tools, go back to workin at guitar center you wannabees....

TragikRemix said:
...after recording for over a year, i have little more to show than three 30 second clips of things that i'm really happy with.

That's because you spend all your time here. :D

bezusheist said:
yeah, you're all a bunch of tools except steveh...you obviously don't have the talent, so you have to hide behind equipment, that's all...i can make professional recordings on a wal-mart boom-box tape recorder...cause i'm extremely talented...i don't waste my time making up excuses...i just do it...and if the song is a good song, it really doesn't matter how it was recorded or how much money it ran through before it got on cd...chances are if you are recording at home, it's because you like to record, not because you want to produce the next pussycat dolls cd...wtf?? why would you ever discourage some one from trying something they might like...esp. if they aren't really sure if they can do it or not....yeah, go buy $12,000 worth of crap, try to figure out how to use it, and then totally give up on it in a week when you can't figure it out...or spend $300 on a tascam portastudiuo and a sm57 and try it out for a while, then you can move on to bigger and better if you like...yeah, and i'm sure you were a professional recording engineer when you were born, right? you F@kin tools, go back to workin at guitar center you wannabees....

if that were the case then i would understand your point, but when the person in question ask why when using your method of recording, that their music doesnt sound like it does on the radio or on his favorite bands cd. then he'll have to rethink about his wal-mart boom box studio. and i dont hide behind the gear that i own. everything i own has a purpose, and i use it. if i were an electrician, why would i go to work with just a pocket knife and some electrical tape and expect to get the job done. i am not trying to discourage anyone from doing this.....i am only saying that if you wanna do it you have to understand you aint gonna make your cd sound like Snoop Dogs on $300 dollars. if you think you can then you are the tool.

What's more annoying, someone who wants to spend $300 and make their own next hit CD or someone who wants to spend $30K and expect the gear make their next CD for them? Kinda like choosing whether to use hemp or silk for the rope by which your hang yourself.

A $300 rig, a $30K setup, and a $300K studio are all identical in one important respect: It takes commitment, technique, and talent to get a decent quality production out of any of them.

T-Bone Burnett could make a decent production on a Portastudio, but your average home wrecker couldn't do the same at Paisley Park.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
What's more annoying, someone who wants to spend $300 and make their own next hit CD or someone who wants to spend $30K and expect the gear make their next CD for them? Kinda like choosing whether to use hemp or silk for the rope by which your hang yourself.

A $300 rig, a $30K setup, and a $300K studio are all identical in one important respect: It takes commitment, technique, and talent to get a decent quality production out of any of them.

T-Bone Burnett could make a decent production on a Portastudio, but your average home wrecker couldn't do the same at Paisley Park.

G.

Well said!

Hooray! We all agree and will live happily ever after!

There is nothing more for me to contribute than my general support for broke DIY recordings by people dedicated enough to do it well despite being poor and untrained.

bezusheist said:

Nobody deserves to call themselves extremely talented. IMHO that's something that has to be proven, and a title that has to be bestowed upon you by others.

jonnyc said:
Nobody deserves to call themselves extremely talented. IMHO that's something that has to be proven, and a title that has to be bestowed upon you by others.

More importantly, talent doesn't mean shit without dedication, work ethic, and a bit of luck. Being talented just means that you learn something much faster or more naturally than others. It doesn't mean you're good at it.

Back