Opinions on some gear

lakeland96

I'm in the market to purchase a stand-alone digital recording unit. I need a mulit-track (8-24ish) HD recorder that can record all tracks simultaneously (for live recordings).

I'm looking into the Fostex D2424LV. Any opinions? warnings? reviews?

It's in my price range, but I can't find many reviews. I would like some opinions before buying.

thanks.

chris

I'm very impressed with Fostex gear. It feels very well built. The D2424 uses the FDMS-3 system that I've found VERY stable on both the VF80 (8-track) and the VF160(16 track). The VF's don't require defragmenting or optimizing the drive (or saving files for that matter). The machine does this as you go, and in this way acts like an analogue tape machine.

The VF160 will do 8 tracks at once without additional equipment and 16 at once with various options of interface equipment (Fostex mixer, ADAT mixer, etc.)

I don't know what effects the D2424 has built-in, but I believe you'll have to have a mixer and external effects units. The D2424 is essentially a fine 24 track hard-disk recorder with editing abilities -- but that's it. It looks similar to the Mackie and Alesis units of the same type.

Obviously you can download a brochure and manual on the Fostex USA site...

billisa said:
I'm very impressed with Fostex gear. It feels very well built. The D2424 uses the FDMS-3 system that I've found VERY stable on both the VF80 (8-track) and the VF160(16 track). The VF's don't require defragmenting or optimizing the drive (or saving files for that matter). The machine does this as you go, and in this way acts like an analogue tape machine.

The VF160 will do 8 tracks at once without additional equipment and 16 at once with various options of interface equipment (Fostex mixer, ADAT mixer, etc.)

I don't know what effects the D2424 has built-in, but I believe you'll have to have a mixer and external effects units. The D2424 is essentially a fine 24 track hard-disk recorder with editing abilities -- but that's it. It looks similar to the Mackie and Alesis units of the same type.

Obviously you can download a brochure and manual on the Fostex USA site...

Exactly. My D2424LV is a great machine. Great sounding with a boatload of features. I MTC lock mine to Cakewalk and use Cakewalk as the master. The Fostex has never even burped. No trouble whatsoever. This machine can chase starting from anywhere in the MIDI program and locks perfectly.

Back