Only one short tip

Recording is work. The more effort and time you put into it, the better the results. Similarly, you will get more benefit from doing more work than from new gear.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

drink lots of juice and eat light, healthy meals. It keeps your energy level up for those long 14 hour sessions. Although a big fat burrito sure does taste good it'll sap your energy, plus you don't want to be known as the "gaseous" engineer. Sushi and fresh squeezed juice is my winning combo.

Read associated literature while on the toilet. Been proven things read while sitting in the can stick in the brain more predominately.

**Now if anyone here says they carry their laptop with wireless LAN into the can with them so they can read this board, they need to see a shrink :D**

alien said:
Read associated literature while on the toilet. Been proven things read while sitting in the can stick in the brain more predominately.

**Now if anyone here says they carry their laptop with wireless LAN into the can with them so they can read this board, they need to see a shrink :D**

that would be me.... :)

alien said:

I haven't thought of that, but I have thought of mounting a small screen into the wall

alien said:

Have any referrals?

don't go buying a whole bunch of recording equipment and then get too busy and lazy to record.

man i wish i could take my own advice.

with that said, i'm looking for a new recording system. i think i just like to fantisize about my studio...preamps...large diaphragms, audio interfaces...man i lust for that which is not in my studio.

Try to watch the bands you record either at a practice or a show before they record. It not only builds repoir, it gives you a chance to see and hear their instuments early on in the game to see what can be corrected BEFORE they get to the studio. One thing that drives me nuts is when a band shows up and there's a peice of towel rolled up and duct taped to all the drum heads and the drum heads are like 2 years old to begin with. Then there's the cymbals with the CD sized chunk missing. One of personal favorites is when a bassist or guitarist decides to chang his or her strings right before they get in the hot seat.

It also gives you a chance to arrange track assignments in your head. Overall, it just makes a session go more smoothly (if there is such a thing).
RF

Try to watch the bands you record either at a practice or a show before they record. It not only builds repoir, it gives you a chance to see and hear their instuments early on in the game to see what can be corrected BEFORE they get to the studio. One thing that drives me nuts is when a band shows up and there's a peice of towel rolled up and duct taped to all the drum heads and the drum heads are like 2 years old to begin with. Then there's the cymbals with the CD sized chunk missing. One of personal favorites is when a bassist or guitarist decides to chang his or her strings right before they get in the hot seat.

It also gives you a chance to arrange track assignments in your head. Overall, it just makes a session go more smoothly (if there is such a thing).
RF

Tuning. If your mic placement is a little off, you have eq... it the tuning is a little off, you're in trouble. Always be listening for something that's gone out-of-tune.

Back