Old Velodyne subwoofer adequate for studio or JBL LSR301s better?

ldolamore

I've had a Velodyne VA1012 subwoofer that I bought new in the early 1990s for my "stereo system" and it continues to function. After years of recording with headphones I finally got monitors for my basic home studio; JBL LSR305. I added the Velodyne to the setup, which sounds good but I'm wondering of the JBL LSR310s sub would be better for recording/mixing. The Velodyne covers 25-75 Hz per the specs but seems somewhat tubby or low definition. I don't have a lot of experience with subs so maybe that's normal, but I've read reviews about the punchiness and clarity of the JBL sub. I have no easy way to try the JBL sub, let alone A/B it with the Velodyne. I'd appreciate feedback that might help me determine if the JBL would essentially be similar to my Velodyne or a marked improvement for home recording.

I would think that the sub would be more accurate with the JBL, I have used home surround sub in the past but spent a lot of time setting it up, and replaced it as soon as I could. The actual sound from the subs was similar at first, but after mixing a few projects and getting used to it I realised that the jbl was actually tighter in the bass and easier to find problem bass issues with.

Alan.

Of course the room has a lot to do with the clarity of the low end you hear as well.

But I would assume the Jul would be a better match for your monitors.

True about the room, although I don't have treatment plans in the foreseeable future. Guess I need to get the JBL or I'll never know. Thanks!

Back