Is it ok to connect a guitar amplifier to a mixer via amp's "phones" output (1/4")?

adema1226

Is it ok to connect a guitar amplifier to a mixer via amp's "phones" output (1/4")?

I've searched google and here and haven't found anything. I want to connect my guitar amplifier directly into my mixer if that's ok. My amp has a headphones 1/4" output. Would it be all right to connect a 1/4" cable from the phones output of the amp to a line in or insert on my mixer? Obviously don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks for any help.

It will work, but it'll never really sound as good as actually micing the cab

Thanks. I didn't want to blow anything up on the mixer or the amp. I just thought I would try it, as my condenser mics are cheap and don't give the clearest sound.

Headphone outputs use shield for ground, ring for right +ve and tip for left +ve, whereas balanced line inputs use ring for signal -ve and tip for signal +ve.
(I may have tip/ring mixed up, but the point's still the same.)

If it doesn't work straight off, you may want to use an unbalanced cable, or split the headphone output into a pair of mono unbalanced cables instead.

Well I ended up just recording direct-in to the mixer. Trying the amp directly into the mixer with a 1/4" didn't work properly... the sound was staticky, whether I plugged into the line-in or the insert. Micing the amp sounded good, but I really couldn't get a good in-your-face sound. The sound was too airy and didn't have enough depth.

Like I said, ended up just recording guitar directly into the mixer. Thanks for the help though.

Recording direct using the output from the phones output should give you the sound of the amp plus some-kind of cab simulation over it, which sounds to me more often than not quite mediocre. Micing is cool if you can afford good volume, mics, positionning etc...
DI & reamping is what suits me more in terms of flexibility.

Back