Not a great Vocal setup.....but

I-AM

I was wondering how to get more out of the current setup I have for recording vocals.
I am using a Marshall XL 2001 Large condensor, and Art mic pre.
But what is really limiting is my space to work with.
Currently I have a small like kitchenette area, and a doorway that leads into it. I have put up like a somewhat thick bedspread, to close in this area when I begin to record vocals.
I can still here almost everything going on outside of this.
I haven't tried recording in the bathroom yet, but I am sure that I will pick up a lot of reflections.
Does anybody have any suggestions as far as what I might be able to do help minimize outside noise and preserve(somewhat) of the artists voice?

Thanks,

I-AM

External noise can be a problem with large diaphram condensers. You could buy a gobo, a movable baffle used to isolate intruments. You can also make them if you're good at that kind of thing. I record acoustic guitar with an AT-4033 sometimes, and it really picks up any kind of outside noise. I recorded a great part the other night, then when I listened back to it I could hear a squirrel climbing on my roof.

You might try recording in the bathroom and like the natural echo, it's worth a try. The other option is to sing with a dynamic mic. I use an Audix OM-2, and a Shure SM57 and 58's are good too.

IAM-

Here's what I do.

I am also of limited space to record, and can't modify where I live. Luckily, though, I have 2 bathrooms for just the one of me.:) One of the bathrooms has a seperate very small room with just a toilet in it. I took that room and pinned blankets to the walls and across the ceiling used wavy foam that a Compaq server was packaged in.

It seems to keep the noise out pretty well, and it is a very dead room. If I were you, I'd use the smallest room and just cover everything with blankets. They hang well from shower rods :).

Just my totally non professional two cents!

H2H

Back