Normal mixer can be used as a recording mixer?

rmznkskngl

Hello friends,

View attachment 90455

At the attachment, you can see our studio mixer. This studio was just a rehersal studio, and we decided to turn it into a music and sound recording studio. The room has another next room and we will open a window between two rooms and make it both rehersal and recording studio. This mixer is somehow quality mixer and we do not want to buy a new recording mixer. Is it possible to turn this mixer into to recording mixer? If it is possible, what should I buy extra for recording? Can you list step by step what I need such as auido interface, software, type and quality of computer?

I am new in the subject. If I write some stupid things, pardon me
Thanks

That link doesn't go anywhere. Maybe you could just tell us what mixer you have.

You don't really need a mixer to record, but for bigger sessions there are some advantages.

Sorry for the link, 3 hours ago, I was in the studio but I forget to check the name of mixer. We connect in all guitars microphones into this mixer, so what I simply thought is "there can be some devices which we can combine with this mixer and add a computer. So we can record the insturements and sounds." But this is just a guess, I dont know exactly. If it is not easy to help without knowing the brand of mixer, I can write it in 2-3 days.

Not only the brand, but the model. Some mixers can do everything, some are much more specific.

There is no exact definition of a "recording mixer" vs. a "normal mixer". Indeed, many would consider "recording" as the normal state for a mixer.

Having said that, usually for recording you want to record each channel separately into your computer (or whatever you're recording on) while for live use, you're usually, well, mixing and only need one or two outputs.

The ability for feed each channel separately is known as having "direct outs". It's not common to have this on most low end mixers, though you can sometimes cheat the system using an adaptor cable from the "Insert" socket on a mixer (if your mixer has inserts".

If you do want to work this way, then you obviously need an audio interface with as many inputs as your mixer has outputs.

However, all you want to do is record the same mix as you're doing for rehearsal purposes, the a simple 2 channel interface will do...and many/most mixers have some form of "Record Out", often on RCA sockets.

So, basically we need more details of your mixer.

And why did you sign up to only post one link? You may want to use some words next time....

Looks like spam.
Sorry about the first post. I signed up to get info from other people that might know a lot more than me and to share info with some people that might need it.

okay guys,
Thank you very much for your answers. Today I will be in studio and I will take the name and model of mixer. I will upload all photos of inputs outputs, mono stereo and everything.
Option 1: If you can understand what kind of mixer this is and if it is suitable for recording, I will ask the questions.
We want to seperate the channels for recording, So:
- What audio interfaces do I need?
- What kind of computer, what extra accessories will I need to use this computer for recording?
- What software will I need? Or what do you prefer?
- Some information about the monitors?
- I can deal with diffusers and isolation things.

Option 2: If this mixer does not give us any speciality for recording, what should have from the beginning? I was looking for Tascam DP 32, I will care for your opinions, as you see, I do not have any information about the subject but I have to figure out those things and I have to make a recording studio.

Thanks

okay guys,
Thank you very much for your answers. Today I will be in studio and I will take the name and model of mixer. I will upload all photos of inputs outputs, mono stereo and everything.
Option 1: If you can understand what kind of mixer this is and if it is suitable for recording, I will ask the questions.
We want to seperate the channels for recording, So:
- What audio interfaces do I need?

You need an interface that can handle as many inputs as you will have sources you want to record so we can't answer until we have more details of your band. Be warned--up to 8 inputs prices aren't TOO bad but, above that, you'll either need to spend a lot or be willing to do a bit of "bodging" to get the inputs you need.

- What kind of computer, what extra accessories will I need to use this computer for recording?

The computer isn't as critical as you might think. I'd suggest that you use one that isn't too clogged up with games and rubbish, that you shut down things like system sounds, power management and anti virus software while recording and that you have two decent hard disk drives (at least 7200 rpm), one for the operating system and the other for storing your actual music. Many will recommend that one of these be an SSD but, to date, I've not found that necessary.

- What software will I need? Or what do you prefer?

There's tons of software that would work. Just for the sake of suggesting something, have a look at Reaper. It's probably the most cost effective, full featured software out there.

- Some information about the monitors?

Are you going to have a separate room for setting up your computer in? If not, you probably want a good set of headphones for the actual recording process with monitors only coming into play when you mix. Monitors will be a huge topic in its own right and will depend a lot on budget and your musical style.

- I can deal with diffusers and isolation things.

Okay.

Option 2: If this mixer does not give us any speciality for recording, what should have from the beginning? I was looking for Tascam DP 32, I will care for your opinions, as you see, I do not have any information about the subject but I have to figure out those things and I have to make a recording studio.

Thanks

I don't have any experience of the DP 32 but, by any chance, would you consider a single mixer that could handle your live gigs, rehearsals and recording? If so, you really should look at the Behringer x32. It's more money than the DP 32 but is a VERY useful bit of kit!

You need an interface that can handle as many inputs as you will have sources you want to record so we can't answer until we have more details of your band. Be warned--up to 8 inputs prices aren't TOO bad but, above that, you'll either need to spend a lot or be willing to do a bit of "bodging" to get the inputs you need.

The computer isn't as critical as you might think. I'd suggest that you use one that isn't too clogged up with games and rubbish, that you shut down things like system sounds, power management and anti virus software while recording and that you have two decent hard disk drives (at least 7200 rpm), one for the operating system and the other for storing your actual music. Many will recommend that one of these be an SSD but, to date, I've not found that necessary.

There's tons of software that would work. Just for the sake of suggesting something, have a look at Reaper. It's probably the most cost effective, full featured software out there.

Are you going to have a separate room for setting up your computer in? If not, you probably want a good set of headphones for the actual recording process with monitors only coming into play when you mix. Monitors will be a huge topic in its own right and will depend a lot on budget and your musical style.

Okay.

I don't have any experience of the DP 32 but, by any chance, would you consider a single mixer that could handle your live gigs, rehearsals and recording? If so, you really should look at the Behringer x32. It's more money than the DP 32 but is a VERY useful bit of kit!

And Mackie has the DL series that uses an iPad interface and can record. They are now available with 8 to 32 inputs. I'm looking at the DL 32 R but mostly for recording live gigs, not as my main interface. I need small, otherwise I would have gotten the x32.

Bill L

Bobbsy, thank you very much your answer was perfect for me. 8 inputs definetely enough for me.
Secondly, we will have seperate rooms for computer setup. I will move the mixer from rehersal room to computer room but we will have a window between two rooms. So I will have monitors in the recording room. Are these monitors okay?

Behringer MS 16, Aktivlautsprecher, Orginal Verpackt ! Neuwertig ! ! ! | eBay

Everything is getting clear in my mind. Now I have learned what I have as a mixer. Profx16. And here it is manual.

http://www.mackie.com/products/profxseries/pdf/PROFX16_22_OM.pdf

As I understand, there is something for recording but I think it allows recording only for 2 channel. I think that means, I need interface for seperating the channels into 8 inputs, but of course you can answer it better when you read the manual.

You can get "insert tap" cables that will get line level signal from the insert points on the board to the line level inputs on an interface. Only inputs 1-10 have insert points. If you need the inserts for compressors or other processing then connect the processor as normal but put a 1/4" Y-cable on the input of the processor and connect one side of the Y to the interface.

If the interface has mic preamps you could get XLR splitters and route things independently to the board and the interface, but then you have to set gain on two sets of preamps.

As bouldersoundguy has said, "insert tap" cables should let you run from your mixer inserts into an audio interface (and then into you computer). You'd need an interface with 8 line level inputs

However, as it's only 8 channels, another option might be a mic splitter like THIS ONE in the circuit with one output of each channel going to the mixer and the other going to an interface like, maybe, a Tascam US 1800.

If the isolated splitter is too rich for the budget, you can probably get away with simple "Y" adaptor cables. Just be careful of things like phantom power. One advantage of going the splitter route is that gain adjustments on the mixer won't affect what's being fed into your recording.

There are various ways to skin a horse!

Bobbsy, thank you very much your answer was perfect for me. 8 inputs definetely enough for me.
Secondly, we will have seperate rooms for computer setup. I will move the mixer from rehersal room to computer room but we will have a window between two rooms. So I will have monitors in the recording room. Are these monitors okay?

Behringer MS 16, Aktivlautsprecher, Orginal Verpackt ! Neuwertig ! ! ! | eBay

Everything is getting clear in my mind. Now I have learned what I have as a mixer. Profx16. And here it is manual.

http://www.mackie.com/products/profxseries/pdf/PROFX16_22_OM.pdf

As I understand, there is something for recording but I think it allows recording only for 2 channel. I think that means, I need interface for seperating the channels into 8 inputs, but of course you can answer it better when you read the manual.

Good mixer for live use (I have one), but put it aside for recording use. As you would need to use the inserts on each channel plus get an interface with 8 line inputs, it is infinitely more practical to get an audio interface with 8 mic preamps like the Tascam US1800 already mentioned.

That's exactly the one I want. I plan on putting the unit in a rack off to the side of the stage, run a snake to the front for vocal and monitor cables and a snake in the back of the stage for all instrument mics and any additional monitors. I'll be using almost exclusively as a pa the multi track records.

Bill L

That link is not the full review which is in the December issue which is a very upbeat about the product.

If you have any problems finding the review PM me.

Dave.

That link is not the full review which is in the December issue which is a very upbeat about the product.

If you have any problems finding the review PM me.

Dave.

I already checked the thing out and a buddy of mine that I help with sound work is a rep for Mackie. He's going to try to grab one from Mackie as a demo so he can wring it out. Assuming all goes well, I'll pick one up shortly after his stamp of approval. We just did a decent size gig with the DL 1608 and it sounded great. I really like the fact that everyone in the band can adjust their own monitor settings through a downloadable app. I'm pretty much getting one unless they prove to be unreliable. Thanks for the offer Dave!

Bill L

Okay guys, sorry for late answer, I was really busy last a few days.
1- what I understand is I need to have "insert tap cable" for connecting my mixer into the interface, however can you put a picture or direct link what type of cable this is, because there some different type of insert tap cable.
2- So I have to have a audio interface, please can you help to choose one of those, because there are too much. By the way this is German ebay.

audio interface | eBay

As I understand above 1 and 2 option is necessary to have for me to record with this mixer.

3- Third point I have some confusion. Are the audio interface and microphone signal splitters are similar things? Or first insert tap cable- second audio interface, plus thirdly I have to buy microphone signal splitter. Or what Robbsy shared "tascam us 1800 and art s8" are both audio interface and microphone signals splitter? For example if I get tascam us 1800 and plus insert tap cable, Is this enough to be connected to computer?

There is used signal splitter, what do you think about it?

+++ Schulz Kabel MST-412 Mikrofon-Splitter Microphone Splitter +++ | eBay

Sorry English is not my mother language, maybe that is why I have confusion.
By the way, I making the diffusers and table for computer and monitors. It is getting better.

You need an insert tap cable OR a microphone signal splitter. You don't need both.

Basically, you need to have a way to get the signal to the mixer and the audio interface. You can do that one of two ways: 1. an insert tap cable for each channel. OR 2. A microphone signal splitter for each channel.

The interface has to have as many input as you have channels of audio to send it. You will need as many insert tap cables or signal splitters as you have channels to record.

Back