Noise! Dirty Power?

Uladine

I was recording guitars earlier (high gain) and about halfway through the session I started noticing an annoying buzz that my noise gate wasn't quite taking care of. You could almost hear it in the guitar tone, while I was playing, not just in silent parts. It sounds almost like if you were to pull the cable out of the guitar and hold your thumb on the jack.

I tried 3 different guitars, 3 different cables, and even tried cleaning the input jack on my Podxt with WD-40, but nothing worked. I'm thinking now that maybe it has something to do with the power, since the problem pretty much appeared on it's own. I didn't change anything about my setup or even any patches on the Pod before the noise appeared, so I can't really think of anything else.

I used an outlet tester to make sure everything was wired right in the wall, and in my furman power conditioner (PL-8), and I tried turning off and unplugging all unnecessary electronic devices and lights (even my LCD monitor) but nothing got rid of the noise. I also tried the ground lift switch on the Pod, but it had no effect. Also, the noise seems to be coming from either before the Pod or the Pod itself, as it can be heard in headphones connected to the Pod's headphone jack.

I know that this wasn't a pre-existing condition that I suddenly noticed, because I can go back about halfway through the project I was working on, and the problem isn't there. On the second half of the session, taken in the same sitting, with an identical setup, (guitar, cable, hardware, patches, mixer channel, interface input, etc.) the problem is quite present.

I've heard of "dirty power', but I don't know much about it. Is it possible something happened in the neighborhood power grid or something that could be causing this shit noise? Will it go back to normal any time soon? Is there anything else I should try? This is beyond frustrating.

Noise issues can be tough to pinoint. Does it still buzz when you listen on headphones with nothing but the guitar attached (not plugged into speakers or a recorder)?

Yea. Well it did. I simplified my setup to just my guitar, a cable, my Pod, and a pair of headphones directly plugged into the pod and the problem persisted. I gave up and hoped it would go away by the next morning and low and behold it did. I'm assuming it had something to do with the power. I live on the coast and my area is prone to power dips and transformer problems, so I'm assuming some weird stuff may have happened with the power grid that I don't understand. I wonder if a decent power filter would help prevent such problems in the future, but I don't know enough about them to go out and buy one.

Back