no-bleed headphones

tc4b

Yeah I been drinkin, SO!?
Wasn't sure where to stick this question, hoping someone here can help:

What's the cheapest pair of headphones I get that has no bleed? Understood that ZERO bleed may be impossible, but how cheap can I get a pair that has very little? Sound quality/comfort not important at all.

Koss Pro4AA are almost no-bleed...and sound pretty darn good too!
These have been around since the early 70's and were a studio staple at one time. I have about 8 pairs that I still use for sessions.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^fs^PRO4AA

Then there are these Vic Firth isolation headphones intended for drummers, but I guess they can work for anyone. I'm not sure how good they sound though:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vic-Firth-SIH1-Isolation-Headphones?sku=443954

miroslav,

He was asking about the cheapest headphones he could get that don't bleed.
At $100 and $50, the Koss and Vic Firth really don't fit his criteria.

Use a pair of bud (Ipod) type phones, and get a pair of ear muffs from a hardware store and wear them over the top. I did this when I went to a Grand prix a few years ago so I could hear the radio commentary over the engine noise.

Cheers

Alan.

Use a pair of bud (Ipod) type phones, and get a pair of ear muffs from a hardware store and wear them over the top. I did this when I went to a Grand prix a few years ago so I could hear the radio commentary over the engine noise.

Cheers

Alan.

My favorite kind of solution: cheap and improvised (well, cheap if you have the stuff lying around, which I do). I'll try this later today with my earbuds (If I can find them, never used them) and my lawn-mowing headphones.

Then, when I have my next session that matters* I'll probably get some moreme's.

*The whole reason it started mattering lately is remixes. See, bleed never bothered me before, because what bled through the headphones was just an iota of the exact same stuff as the finished track, so almost impossible to hear. However, recently I attempted a remix, and dammit if I couldn't hear the OLD backing track taking a whiz all over the new backing track. I had to basically torture and chop the fuck out of the vocal to make it work. So, lesson learned: use no-bleeds, just so you have the option of remixing without the extra couple hours of cleaning the vocal.

Back