Newbie with Signal Chain Questions :-)

tinypeanut04

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out with my signal chain. I cant seem to get a good sound for bass recordings (keeps clipping and is very distorted sounding or no sound at all, as I will explain.

I'm using the Presonus FireStudio Project (firewire) interface into my MacBook Pro. I'm a guitarist and a bassist, trying to have my rack unit setup so all I have to do is plug in a guitar and go if i want to record something, or if a buddy comes over, just plugin and go.

With that being said:

For bass I'm plugging into Powered Pre-Amp Channel 1 on the Presonus FireStudio Project and trying to use the effects loop send/return with a ART 341 dual 15 band equalizer (channel 1) and Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro. The EQ has stereo in and out i believe, while the V-Amp has various ways to input and output signal. The manual is hard to follow, and ive done some online research and everyone seems to share my pain with the back panel of the V-Amp.

I dont know if i should be using Stereo Analog out, Pre DSP Send/Return or the Post DSP Send/Return. it seems like when i use the Pre DSP i get no real signal.

I have the chain going:
Bass -> Presonus Ch1 (powered) -> Presonus Ch1 Send -> ART 341 In -> ART 341 out -> Vamp PRE DSP Line In(return)->Post DSP Return -> Presonus Ch1 Return

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if thats just no the right path to take..

The only way i seem to be getting signal is:
Bass -> V-Amp Front Input -> V-Amp Stereo Analog Out -> Presonus Ch1

but i cant seem to get the EQ in good position with that chain and i had read somewhere that the Presonus FX loop is the way to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

J

I dont know if i should be using Stereo Analog out, Pre DSP Send/Return or the Post DSP Send/Return. it seems like when i use the Pre DSP i get no real signal.

I have the chain going:
Bass -> Presonus Ch1 (powered) -> Presonus Ch1 Send -> ART 341 In -> ART 341 out -> Vamp PRE DSP Line In(return)->Post DSP Return -> Presonus Ch1 Return

The Post DSP Return is an input. There won't be any signal coming out of it. You should be able to use the Post DSP Send to get signal to your interface.

The only way i seem to be getting signal is:
Bass -> V-Amp Front Input -> V-Amp Stereo Analog Out -> Presonus Ch1

That's how it's designed to be used, as a bass preamp/effects processor/amp simulator.

but i cant seem to get the EQ in good position with that chain and i had read somewhere that the Presonus FX loop is the way to go.

You mean the ART 341? You could put one channel on the Pre DSP insert or both channels on the Post DSP insert or just put it in series between the V-Amp and the interface. But do you really need it?

Bass>v-amp> presonus. A graphic EQ is normally used to tune PA systems and is a noisy, half-assed way to EQ a bass, but if you really want to use it, put it between the v-amp and the presonus.

What he said. One reason you might put it on an insert is to use the balanced outputs of the V-Amp to drive a long line, like at a gig. But most who've done this a while would say just ditch the eq.

Back