Newbie Says Hello!

AudioClueless

Hey everyone I am a newbie to this board and a massive newbie to the recording world. I am a long time musician and have recently become interested in the recording side of things.

I figured I would just jump in and get my feet wet. I thought this might be a good place to start the learning process. My name says it all and I can assure you it is completely true...I know nothing about recording...YET.

I hope along the way I can pass on any tips I pick up here and thanks in advance people...I'm sure I'll be driving everyone crazy with my lack of knowledge soon enough!

Welcome to the board AC!

the search feature is great for getting caught up on stuff you might have missed or may be curious about...

I'm sure you'll learn a ton just as I have..

Welcome to the Forum.......

The world is over (and so is your savings! :p ) as you know it.

Another one falls to the dark side. :D :cool:

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I do not have any gear yet but I have some cash stored away from over the years. I have SOOOO much to learn so I think I'll learn as much as I can about the gear before I make any decisions or purchases.

I will probably go digital and have looked briefly at PRO TOOLS HD systems and the new TASCAM MX2424 for the core.

My knowledge is VERY limited so if anyone has a preferences or advice regarding these pieces or any other gear for that matter please feel free to post away!

Thanks again everyone!

AudioClueless said:
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I do not have any gear yet but I have some cash stored away from over the years. I have SOOOO much to learn so I think I'll learn as much as I can about the gear before I make any decisions or purchases.

That’s a smart move! Spend time to learn as much as you can be for you buy. The more legwork you do up front, the more likely you will be able to maximize your investment.

I agree with the legwork thing. Don't go rushing out and buying whatever looks good. And Lord knows, don't let any sales people at Guitar Center talk you into anything. I know I did a couple months research before I finally dropped the cash on my first equipment, and I'm not regretting it one bit. When I was looking, I made several diagrams of the equipment I was interested in buying, and how they'd all hook together. In the end, I think I laid the foundation for a setup I'll be happy with for quite a while.

Welcome clueless, and may I say, that this is the best place in the world to learn about home recording. There are many knowledgable technicians what actually take the time to listen and answer my dumb questions also. I agree with everyone, dont just look at price, or packaging, or listen to some sales person. Why do you think that guy works at guitar center? It is definitely not because of his huge knowledge of studio equipment, or he would be in a studio working. Try stuff out and dont get in a hurry. You will come out better in the long run.

Thanks again everyone and I promise to flood the boards with stupid question after stupid question!

Hopefully in time I will be asking less obvious questions...It's a long road but I'm ready! Thanks again everyone!

Cheers!

Back