newbie question...recording drums with very limited resources

jaapie

i'm trying to record my drum set in my bedroom without moving too much stuff around, but i don't really have the greatest equipment. i've got three inexpensive condenser mics, but my computer only has a stereo mic in. i have an old mixer that i can use to mix the three down to stereo so i can run it into the computer (i've also got a tascam portastudio i could record to, but that only has stereo ins too, and fewer tracks for adding guitar etc later). i've been using adobe audition to record stuff. are there any techniques concerning mic placement, EQ etc that i could use to help the drums sound better. Best case scenario would be a nice big bonham-esque sound, but i'll settle for the best i can do with my limited equipment and expertise. any suggestions?

p.s. i can't really afford to buy better stuff at the moment, so i'm just trying to get the most out of what i have.

If the equipment you listed is the extent of you inventory, you might be best off setting up your two most closely-matched condensors as a stereo X/Y pair either as overheads or in front of the kit. The third could possibly be used as a snare mic, but good placement can be tricky with a condenser. Same with the it's potential as a kick mic. I might recommend borrowing or renting for a couple of bucks either an SM57 for the snare and/or a nice kick mic for the kick.

As far as going from the mixer or the portastudio to the soundcard, at that point you'll want to come in through the stereo line in jack and not the mic jack since the mixer and portastudio already have the mic preamps in them.

HTH,

G.

Back