newbie question

Foo-bu

when recording, should you apply EQ while setting mic positions? or should you wait until after everything is recorded and you are mixing?

do some reading here:

the best choice is "neither". Use careful mic/preamp selection, placement and gain staging to get the sound as "perfect" as you can as it gets recorded, use no EQ at this stage. Only use EQ to make things sit together in the mix. Even there, do your best to anticipate what you need something to sound like and even consider re-micing a part to make it sit better rather than using EQ to do the job.

Yo Foo-Bu-Bee-Doo:]

Amen to Stockdale's tips.

Also, you can use reverb in the cans for vocals but don't record the reverb; most DAW's and recorders can do this.

Add the reverb when you mix.

Doo-Wop-De-Doo!:p :p :D :p :cool:

Green Hornet

cstockdale said:
do some reading here:

the best choice is "neither". Use careful mic/preamp selection, placement and gain staging to get the sound as "perfect" as you can as it gets recorded, use no EQ at this stage. Only use EQ to make things sit together in the mix. Even there, do your best to anticipate what you need something to sound like and even consider re-micing a part to make it sit better rather than using EQ to do the job.

agreed 100%!

Actually, you want to get the sound as "perfect" as possible with mic placement/preamp selection as it is played against a rough mix of all other instruments. This prevents you from having to carve your mix up and compromising the other instruments during mix time.

All of this should be done through monitors and not headphones.

Cy

But wait!

I've only messed around a bit with recording nylon string guitar but thus far no matter how I do it, it sounds really boomy. It sounds much better if I shelve the LFs at the mixer. I could probably adjust the EQ after it's tracked, but is it not better to make it sound good before tracking rather than after?

Eddie,

If you are getting too much boominess, try moving your mic away from the soundhole. Move it more towards the bridge.

Truly, expirimenting with mic position is MUCH better than eq'ing the signal to death.

However... *IF* you must eq... removing eq (like you are doing) is far better than adding emphasis by boosting eq.

Velvet Elvis

Okay, I will make a serious attempt to find a sweet spot, w/o EQ. The Mic Faq talks about the difficulty in cloe-micing a nylon string guitar. In the end though, am I better off EQ'ing at the mixer at track-time rather than at mix-time?

Eddie,

In the end (again if needed), you are better off eq'ing on playback.

As if you eq going to tape... then later decide you need to change it... you end up eq'ing a track that already had some eq to tape.

Record flat... get as good of mic position as humanly possible... then setup some eq for playback if you HAVE to have it.

Velvet Elvis

Back