Newbie help!

deaf clef pro

Hello, everyone! I'm new to both this forum and audio capture/production. I'm starting this thread here to get some CONSTRUCTIVE inputs for my current efforts and to be pointed in the right direction moving forward.

1. Environment-My living room. Single-story ranch platform over crawlspace. Textured ceiling, standard drywall and medium-pile padded carpet. No grounded outlets. I turn off the HVAC, fishtank, fountain and all electronics in the room while recording. The guitarist sits on my couch with his back to the 7x4 ft window; I'm around the corner in a bedroom with my power conditioner, Boss BR-1180 and KRK 6400 headphones.

2. Setup-Takamine acoustic guitar, using a Sterling Audio S50 microphone (in the shock mount) on input 1 (with phantom supplied by the BR-1180) and a snap-in pickup on the guitar input. The mic is positioned about 10-12 in away from the sound hole and has a pop filter to reduce percussive pick noise. It's on a boom stand which I isolate from the floor using soft pillows. Seems primitive but it helps. I record the mic and pickup on tracks 1 and 2 respectively. I play with the pan and EQ (Mic: set high to shelf type, lower the freq to around 6k and trim it -4 to -6 db to kill the staticy fuzz [which probably has a more technical name]; then I set the low end to shelf, raise the freq to somewhere around 60-100hz and boost 2-3 db. Pickup: Almost the same on high end, but I actually cut the low end a bit to brighten it up). I balance out the volume levels when bouncing to tracks 9/10. This device has a robust "Mastering Tool Kit" (specifically for tracks 9/10 with much better EQ capabilities that I have yet to fully explore) so I'll trim off any pre- and post-music crud then master the track to the best of my abilities. Results sound very pleasing through my KRK 6400 headphones.

I know the S50 is an enrty-level mic and its small diaphagm has shown it's low-end limitations but unless someone is donating, I don't see an upgrade in my future; especially with a $125 speeding ticket eating all my discretionary income this pay period...

2. A. Question-I also have an Art Tube MP pre-amp I was considering adding to the microphone for a stronger input signal. Would using this device reap any tangible benefit? I enjoy the natural sound of the mic vs. the relatively lifeless tone of the clip-in pickup but I don't get a very strong signal from it. I'm aware the 1180 has a built-in mic pre-amp and I'd like to know how to bypass or disable that feature, assuming it's not the input sensetivity knob...

3. What I want to do next-Route my BC Rich Trace Warbeast through my Digitech GNX 3 processor to the BR 1180 for recording. I LOVE the sounds I can get with the Digitech processor but enjoy the ease of "layering" multiple tracks with the Boss device. The GNX 3 can record but it's a PITA to manage and has very little storage capacity.

3. A. Question-What's the preferred method for interfacing these two devices? The GNX 3 has two 1/4" TS outputs-described as:

"Left Output. Connect to the input of an amplifier, input of a power amp, or line input of a mixing console.

Right Output. Use this jack in conjunction with the Left Output for stereo applications. Connect to the input of a
second amplifier, or the right input of a stereo power amp."

The BR-1180 also has three 1/4" inputs, described as: "Guitar. High-impedance input jack to directly connect your guitar or bass. MIC 2 jack (TRS Phone) Input jack/connector for use with mics. Two types are provided, TRS balanced input...* If mics are connected both to the TRS phone jack and the XLR connector, the TRS phone jack is selected automatically. * If an instrument is connected to the GUITAR/BASS jack while a mic is also connected to the MIC 2 jack (or connector), the GUITAR/BASS jack is selected automatically. MIC 1 (VOCAL) Jack (TRS Phone). These jacks allow a mic to be connected. Two types are provided, TRS balanced input (p. 27)..."

I'm assuming I can connect an instrument cable (mono or tip/sleeve but NOT stereo or tip/ring/sleeve cable) from the GNX Left Output into the 1180's Guitar input?

4. Near future plans-I would like to incorporate an external equalizer into the path since the BR-1180's EQ seems quite limited. Any guidance on how to best accomplish this, along with constructive suggestions for good equalizers, would be very helpful. Rack mount units preferred. The BR-1180 has analog audio in/out jacks but the manual doesn't specify them as an "effects loop" as I'm familiar with on guitar amps. It mentions an "audio sub-mix" option but I don't quite understand what that is.

4. A. General question-I need some help understanding what "gain", "volume", "sound pressure level" and "line level" are. The display on the BR-1180 has a output level indicator that starts at 48 and ends at 0 which doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my lengthy post and I look forward to hearing your constructive inputs!

you may do better asking this in the Boss/Roland section of the forum. I'd say 'just try it out' with the various things you are attempting. Keep the input gain low when seting up form the preamp or digitech. Sounds like the BR1180 doesn't have line ins? (I know my old BR600 doesn't).

I did put this in the Boss/Roland section but wasn't getting any replies. Just like fishing, I cast into a different pond and actually got a hit!

I'm assuming "DAW" means "Digital Audio Workstation" such as Cubase or ProTools? I've considered that avenue, but there's a few reasons I haven't yet- 1. I don't have a dedicated space for this fledgling hobby, so portability is essential. Everything I have right now fits into a neat pile at the foot of my bed and can be set up within 15 minutes when needed. Using a DAW would esentially ground me to the computer desk. 2. My computer is fairly old and not very powerful. Eventually I would like to have a detached building with a well-organized equipment storage room, vocal booth, performance chamber (where the musicians actually play thier instruments, whatever that space is formally labeled) and a seperate control room; inside of which would be a large mixer with plenty of I/O options with the outputs routed through an interface device into a modern laptop with sufficient HDD to capture and organize individual tracks, songs and albums. 3. I've already invested in this equipment (granted I got a great deal on most of it so the investment was relatively small) so I feel obligated to use it until my needs or capabilities outgrow it's capacity.

I'm gathering from the manual the analog line in/outs are not for an effects loop. I may be able to transfer the information saved on the 1180 to my computer using MIDI connections (Creative X-FI Fatal1ty Edition with MIDI I/O on the case front panel) but I don't know anything about MIDI. Just glancing through the manual, I don't think that's an option either. I did find a way to copy tracks in WAV format to disc so I may explore that option further...once a find a decent DAW program.

As i mentioned in the other thread, you can track (record) on the Boss, then transfer the files to your computer for processing and mixing.

I'm leaning more that way...probably a loaded question, but what is a decent intuitive software package for an XP machine that will support my future growth plans?

All you need as far as software is Reaper...$40 it'll do everything you'll ever need from a DAW.

Whatever interface you have can probably be hooked up to your computer and record straight into Reaper. You also won't need external EQs and Compressors ETC. for a while, Reaper has plug-ins that will be perfect for you. I've been recording a while, and a lot of others have too, and we still haven't outgrown Reaper's plugins.

So your signal should look something like this...

mic->preamp->interface->computer (Reaper)

$60 for Reaper now, but its still a great deal. Even with an older computer, if there are extreme latency issues, its easy to do your tracking on the Boss, then transfer files over. I started doing that with my Boss BR600, but it only records at 16bit, so as soon as I could I started recording direct to the computer.

Back