newb needs help

The First Don

Heres the deal...

I've got a Boss Br-532 digital four track, a Digitech RP-12 effects board, a Dr. Rhythm 600, and Sound Forge 6.0.

I don't have an amp so I have to record everything d/l.

The Br-532 has 8 virtual tracks for each of the 4 tracks. So I can record as many overdubs as I want.

The RP-12 has a 4 band digital EQ (the frequencies are adjustable.) It has a cabinet emulator, a good amount of different effects, and compression.

Sound forge has a 20 band Graphic EQ, a 4 band Paragraphic EQ, and a Parametric EQ. It also has a compresser, and effects.

Does anyone have any production tips on how to get a somewhat quality sound with this setup? The drum machine already sounds ok. I can't figure out how to get the bass and other guitars to sit well in the mix.

So far I've tried Panning two rhythm guitars left and right and putting the lead down the center, over dubbing the lead on the chorus panned left and right.

When It comes out of the chorus it sounds like it is missing something.

I need tips on:

levels (in the mixing)
panning
EQ
overdubbing

You're gonna have to be more precise on what you want "better". Simple "better quality" is nothing that can be achieved by an answer that will always work. I can tell you a ton of stuff about EQ or panning but it all depends on the goal of the song, the material you've already recorded and the sound you want. Same goes for all the other stuff like FX, dubbing, levels etc.

Sorry mate. I know it's not what you wanna hear, but perhaps if you can explain what doesn't sound right and post a clip than we can help you along better.

I want the intruments to sound clear without sacrificing the amount of distortion.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=290563

I'm willing to record everything again. Isn't there some sort of an EQing standard for recording? I have no idea what to EQ the lead rhy and bass guitars at; what to pan left and right and what to leave in the center.

I like how Nirvana, Stone Temple Piolits, Alice in Chains, and Breaking Benjamin, were produced if that helps any.

The First Don said:
Isn't there some sort of an EQing standard for recording?

No, actually there isn't.

One standard I can think of [for recording] is get as close as possible to the sound you want to end up with when you record, by mic placement, mic choice, room shape/size, instrument, etc. Then you will not need to use much, if any EQ.

Try to use subtractive more than additive EQ.

Do you record guitars direct?

Like maestro says get the sound as close going in as possible then minor tweaks in the mix. A small movement in mic placement can make a huge difference on amps.
A few tips-
1) Use less distortion when recording than you would live. The sound will be clearer and heavy especially when dubbed.
2) Hi-pass filters are your friend, remove unnecessay lows from gtr and bass tracks.
3) try removing some 1k from the guitars. be very careful in the 2-5 k range as vocals and guitars compete alot there.
4)Panning the guitars is subjective, I like to go hard left and right and sometimes do a third track up the middle. PAn bass and vox center and spread the drums out to taste
5) dont always play the guitar dubs the same. Play different positions, voicings and different parts especially on a chorus.

Experimentation is the best thing. Listen to the tracks in the mix as opposed to soloed. A single gtr track may sound thin but when its dubbed and in the mix it could sound very heavy and clear.

Good luck!

Back