New user- new studio

ombra

Hello I would like to help to buy new equipment to my voice:

Sound Card: MOTU UltraLite MkIII Hybrid MOTU UltraLite AVB ------ ----- ----- RME Fireface UC RME Fireface UCX

Microphone preamplifier: SSL X Logic Alpha Channel -----
Avalon V5 Black -----

Monitors: ADAM A8X

Mic: neumman tlm 49

What do you say? It could be better for these prices? budget 4000

Microphone already have!

I tried to use the MOTU Ultralite MKIII Hybrid on my Windows 7 x64 computer, but that thing just would not get along with my computer. I sent it back and got an RME FireFace UCX, which has been absolutely rock-solid, stable, and an awesome piece of gear. I can't recommend it enough. Maybe if you're using a Mac, the MOTU would be more cooperative, but it was a total disaster on my Windows PC.

How many channels are you looking to record at one time? If you're just recording one or two microphones at a time, you could get away with cheaper options for an audio interface.

Don't forget to factor acoustic treatment into your budget. Bass traps for the corners and broadband absorption for the first reflection points. Maybe a couple of gobos to help deaden the room even further for acoustic instruments and vocal recording.

I only use a microphone ...... I already had both the rmeuc both the motu is the ssl ...

Actually I want to know how to get a beautiful voice ... if there is something better or goes well my composition ...

spl, ssl, focusrite, universal audio, art ....

Better to use condenser or preamp tube preamp ??

I'm a little confused, we seem to have a bit of a language barrier here. But that's OK.

So you already own a MOTU Ultralite MKIII Hybrid, an SSL XLogic, and a Neumann TLM49? That's pretty much a world-class signal path. That's better than 99.9% of home studios in the world.

My thought is that if you can't get a satisfactory vocal track out of this setup, then something is horribly wrong. If a beautiful voice were to sing into that signal chain, the end result would be beautiful. What do you find lacking about this setup? Do you have any example tracks that illustrate your problems?

A beautiful voice needs a beautiful room to record in. If you're gear is high end stuff, then you need to look at all other factors to get the results you want.

Sorry for my English I'm Italian ... I do not have but I owned all the objects , only the microphone I know if ancora.Volevo with $ 4,000 / € could buy something better ... sound warmer.

Sorry for my English I'm Italian ... I do not have but I owned all the objects , only the microphone I know if ancora.Volevo with $ 4,000 /

Don't know about anybody else friend but I am still confused as to your setup (not being rude but I am put in mind of "The Radio Ham" Tony Hancock "It is are raining not here also"!

Do a list OF WHAT YOU ACTUALLY HAVE NOW,.

1) Microphone, mod XXX YYY
2) Interface, model ZZ.123.Y and so on...

I would guess you are a bit "operatic" so you would need to be some distance from a microphone and that means a good room, probably much more than top line gear.

Dave.

I had a study that later sold
mic : neumman tlm49
mic preamps : ssl Solid State Logic ac
Sound Card : rme uc
Monitor : adam a5
It sold everything except the microphone .
Now I want to buy back all the mic is already in my possession ....
My setup is fine the first post right? You already having a mic neumman tlm49 what would you buy ? budget 4000

Were you getting "a beautiful voice" when you had this equipment? If so, then perhaps buying the same equipment or similar quality would work fine for you. If you were not getting "a beautiful voice" when you owned the equipment, then there may be something else you need to look at to achieve that goal, possibly the room as others have pointed out or maybe something else like microphone technique or processing of the audio after recording.

yes .. but I tried my son a microphone preamp seems to me that it was a little better (FS isa one) .... strange thing seen because the preamp costs 500 euro less than ssl

So, you have a good capacitor mic and $4000/e. to spend on everything else?

Ok, If you have a very nice, large space to sing in you probably don't need to spend out on room treatment (if you need to mix in a control room you WILL need to treat that but lets get the recording kit sorted first?)

IMHO you don't need a separate, high end pre amp unless you want "colour" or "attitude" on your voice (and even then it might be better to do that post tracking in software?).
You need a good interface and that is tricky to call not knowing your other requirements. RME Babyface? The upper range of the Steinbergs or Focustites? Thing is, they have a lot more inouts and facilities than you need for a lone voice (Yup! Gonna say it! Native Instruments KA6! Cost a lot more than $250 to beat that) The SPL Crimson has also received a good rep.

If you need headphones whilst singing you need to spend a fair bit for some really good closed backed types that also give a good ear seal. Can't help with makes there but others will I am sure.

Monitoring for mixing after the event is a whole other ball game and again we need to know exactly what you want to do and where you intend to do it.

Dave.

Back