New interface/mic preamp recommendations

davecg321

Hi

Currently use a presonus firestudio project as my main interface for recording.

I'd like to upgrade to something with better pres. It doesn't necessarily have to have as many inputs, will suffice.

Or should I just invest in an external mic preamp? I have used an external pre before with the firestudio but I recall having an issue with true line level input on this particular device. Namely that it isn't quite true line level. Presonus have never given me confirmation on this either.

What will have a marked improvement on what I already have?

Cheers

Hi there,
Generally speaking, if line inputs are completely separate then they're completely separate inputs, usually around the back.
Another generalisation....If the gain knob has effect on your 'line input' then it's really a pad before the preamp.

You have a few options I suppose.
Sit where you are, buy an interface with really reputable preamps, or buy something with dedicated line inputs (just converters) and use outboard preamps or a decent mixer.

Will you see a marked improvement, though? I don't know.
I suppose it depends on the rest of your gear and the results your getting.
Presonus preamps aren't known for sucking or anything. I guess you'd probably have to really invest to see a big difference.

I use outboard preamps exclusively and have thought about upgrading my converters for a long time but never actually made it to parting with my money. :p

I have about £600 to play with. I'm not sure if anything would be a noticeable step up from what I already have ?

The Babyface pro looks very nice. any other suggestions

Its kind of beaten to death but that Apollo Twin DUO gets alot of posts. Its around $800 though.
theres a special to get some extra software too until Dec..
Unless you're a gear nut, the unit has enough plugs to do about all a person needs.

Im kind of in the same boat, An old 8 channel trade to a new 2 channel? or new lower cost 8channel?
preamps converters etc.. are they really going to be a sound upgrade?
is 24/44.1 enough....maybe mics is a better purchase or pc?

Back