New but Not new to this if that makes sense

ibrightfuture

Annyeong. Hi. Hello. Hola. Ni-hao. Bonjour. Aloha, and whatever other languages many of you may speak!

My name is Bright, and I'm what you would call "an intermediate beginner" which means I'm new to the home recording world, but I have a pretty decent knowledge spread of things. Bare with me though, I do make mistakes as every other human.

So since I'm in the Recording Techniques, I figured my first question could be answered here:

I'm planning on getting a Rode NT1( the pretty black one) and I'm upgrading from Audio Technica AT2020. I currently am also using a Scarlet Focusrite 2i2, and plan on getting a set of Behringer Studio 50USBs since I mostly just put vocals to 2track instrumentals.

So here's my questions, and I'm sorry if they might seem vague, it's about 2:32am:

1.Is the Rode NT1 a good condenser microphone for vocals? I've see YouTube reviews and sweet water reviews, but I'm not certain...

2.My 2i2 has a set of outputs on its back, and I am just wondering if I need an RCA input or splutter to connect my Behringers to it once I buy them? I've seen their specs and there are two xlr inputs and what looks to be( sorry if I totally butcher the measurements) 6.5mm to 3.5mm Jack left and right inputs next to the xlr inputs. So would I not need to plug my mix into my interface anymore or are those inputs for other uses?

3.Since I'm just a simple vocal coverist, would all this be a decent enough recording/ home studio setup?

Thanks in Advance!

The 2i2 has 1/4" output jacks, the Behr speakers have 1/4" input jacks, so all you need are standard TS-TS cables to connect them (like guitar cables).
However with that said, I've never heard anyone mention these monitors before. For $150/pair, and they have USB DAC in them? Sorry, ,but I suspect the sound is anything but linear. Couldn't find any online specifications for their frequency response.
There's nothing wrong with the AT2020, whether the Rode will be better for your voice is mostly subjective - if I was in your boat, I'd save that mic money and go for better monitors.

I bought the black NT1 on spec because I liked (a) the look of it, and (b) the reviews it was getting.

I don't regret it. It is a very versatile, well-behaved mike, and it won't disappoint you.

The Behri monitors are getting good reviews on Sweetwater, so they should give you a good starting point.

As others have said, connect monitors to interface via TS or TRS cables.

Back