Neve 1084

Myriad_Rocker

How much do these typically run? Can I get the same "kind" of character using a clean pre and apply coloring with a plug-in? I like how this pre sounds and I'd like to try it on a vocalist that I know that has a voice similar to the one I've heard that uses this pre and my specific vocal mic.

Myriad_Rocker said:
How much do these typically run? Can I get the same "kind" of character using a clean pre and apply coloring with a plug-in? I like how this pre sounds and I'd like to try it on a vocalist that I know that has a voice similar to the one I've heard that uses this pre and my specific vocal mic.

I don't know an exact figure, but a true Neve will run you several thousand dollars. 1081's are about $8000 for a pair.

edit - found a pair of 1084's for $7800

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=33555&highlight=neve+1084

:D

HOLY FREAKIN' F*CKING S*IT BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, on to the second question. Could I color the sound in a similar way with a plug-in? Not looking for exact. Just something that is known to have a similar sound. Key word being similar.

Myriad_Rocker said:
Could I color the sound in a similar way with a plug-in? Not looking for exact. Just something that is known to have a similar sound. Key word being similar.

Ummmmmm.....I doubt it.

You clould probably mimic some of the sound, but really you kust need a 1084. (Or maybe a re-issue or clone - but they are still not cheap)

Last edited:
xstatic said:
If you could make something sound like a 1084, they wouldn't cost that much:D
oh, yes they would.
Outstanding price tag plays essential role (often THE Key role!) in the effort to secure the "legacy".
:)

well it's like when you buy a ferrari.

You buy it more for the luxury of having one. A nice toy to attract people.

Except in this case, Neve has the braging rights. If someone really knew the sound you get get out of one, the 8 grand is well worth it.

A dual Neve 1073 DPD goes for around 3 grand depending on who you know. Also an amazing sound.

Having one is the start to making you a very well equipped engineer, I can say that much. ;)

But to further reinforce the answers given, you can't really replicate the sound a neve preamp gives you. No plug-in that I know of can give the sense of urgency a neve pre gives you.

The closest I can think of would be the Vintech line of preamps. They are basically a vintage re-make/spin off of the Neve preamps. They work well and are considerably cheaper, but still not close enough (to my ear) to compete with a Neve.

LRosario said:
well it's like when you buy a ferrari...
really? Is it so?
so how is it? ...(when you buy a ferrari, that is)
I wonder how it may be (feels like..., drives like, or what have you like...)

okey...cut the crap, Dr. ZEE... will, Ya? (talking to myself) :D
but, wait a minute!
I want to know this: Is it true, that guys, who drive ferrari(s) and play with Nave's units, have really miserable, boring and lonely lifes, since (apparently!) they would waste their time reading and posting at homerecording dot com bbs instead of fully breathing and enjoying every second of their glorious existence ? ;)

Is this true? Or am I dreaming?

I mean, sure, after driving ferrari, then spending hours in studio with rack of Neve's gear, then driving ferrari back, then the deep lonely night heavily falls and , understandably so, ... one sure may experience craving for chatting at HomeRecording.com :)
Or how does this work, exactly? :confused:

I hope, somebody get my point ... what I'm ranting about here :D

or am I completely confused here? :confused: :confused: :confused: (That may be the case, I guess)

/respects

Check out the new neve portico 5012...about $1400...glowing reviews just about everywhere. Probably sold out right now considering AES is on.

Dr ZEE said:
Yes, thay are. And they are nothing more than what they really are. :D
/respects

Dude, you could atleast share............

:D

ps- Ferraris are just a car, Neve's are just a preamp - whether or not they are worth the price is up to you - I don't own either as I really can't afford a Ferrari (well maybe a 308, but why?) Someday hope to be able to afford a Neve, but for now my MP-2NV will have to do.

It seems like a lot of people seem to forget that most all of your vintage Neve stuff is more than just a preamp. Remeber that all your 1073's, 1084's and stuff all have AMAZING EQ's on them. It is also important to remember that a lot of the people using the Neve's are using that EQ. Personally, it is what I like best about them.

Back