Neumann U87/Avalon 737

jamest748

Hi,

Asking loads of questions on here as everyone knows the answer to everything!

Anyway, another quick question which has been bothering me....

When I'm recording simple strumming acoustic guitar through my Neumann U87 ai into my Avalon 737 then obviously into my soundcard into Sonar 8.5...I have to turn the input right down on the Avalon as the signal is soooooooo loud from the source!

I know it could be a number of elements but I use the technique of keeping the mic 12 inches from the guitar, slight compression and soundcard on a very low level input (it's an E-MU 0404 usb).

I've tried enablnig the -10 switch on the Neumann but that takes away something from the mic so what else can I do apart from turning it down even more on the Avalon? Also the physucal soundwaves recorded look really spikey!

Long post....apologies. If it sounds stupid then don't worry about replying!

Cheers,
James.

You need to go into the EMU with a 1/4 trs and turn the inputs on the EMU all the way down.

What you are probably duing is running the avalon mic preamp into the built-in mic preamps in the EMU. So you are preamping the signal twice.

Ah, that sounds absolutely logical!

Thanks, I'll do that later. I am waiting on an Apogee AD/DA comverter so I can bypass the soundcard preamps via the optical spdif inputs.

That should help too. Appreciate the advice.

Back