need some tips for recording bass and drum

Drny

hi guys. recently i just finished recording the guitar part of my song.
i really have no idea how to record bass and drum? should i plug the bass
directly to my "m-box" or record the bass sound from the amp?
and also, i have a drum machine and anoter very simple tama drum set.
which one do u guys recommand to use for like home-studio recording?
thank you :confused:

Drny said:
should i plug the bass
directly to my "m-box" or record the bass sound from the amp?

Hiya Drny!
If you have an amp with a direct out, you could plug a lead from the amp into the soundcard in order to record the bass with least fuss and maximum signal to noise ratio (just watch the recording levels though!)
But I would hazard a guess and say that other more qualified people than I would recommend, if possible, to mic up the bass cabinet in order to record the bass sound as it is meant to be heard.

Plugging a bass straight into the soundcard will generally result in a low-level muddy, twangy sound that will not be very useful in a song.....unless the M-Box has a preamp of sufficient gain in order to overcome this usual direct-in problem?

The drum machine, given that the outputs should already be sending the sound out at line level, can be plugged directly into the soundcard - tweak the output so that the volume is below clip point on your DAW meters.

Good luck!
Dags

And you might want to try a blend of the two. Run a DI and mic'd. I usually end up using more of the signal from the mic'd track with a touch of DI blended to taste.
Food for thought....

Back