Need some good cheap recording headphones

The Roland RH50's are pretty good and about $50 - $65. A little to crispy for some, but the price is right and its a quality product for the home recording folks looking to get a lot of bang for a reasonable buck.

Sennheiser HD 280s or Sony MDR7506 are your best bet in that price range.

Check out the Phillips SHP9500. They're under $100 and outperform so many other makes and models at much higher prices. I have the Senn HD-598......ATH M50.........AKG240.......Sony MDR V6.......and Senn HD-600. The Phillips outperform all of those except for the Senn HD-600's. I know...............sounds crazy. Read the reviews from trusted sources and you'll see.

These are good for tracking and general listening. The bass is a little hyped, so not flat for mixing, but you don't want to mix on headphones anyway. Oh and the price is well within your range.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-202-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B003LPTAYI

I have no choice but to mix on headphones, im a college student and i cant have music blasting in the dorms plus whats so bad about mixing on headphones? I know theres the croosfeed thing and you dont want your mix to drop out on one channel but most people listen to head phones anyway

I have no choice but to mix on headphones, im a college student and i cant have music blasting in the dorms plus whats so bad about mixing on headphones? I know theres the croosfeed thing and you dont want your mix to drop out on one channel but most people listen to head phones anyway

The main problem with mixing on headphones is that everything sounds fantastic on the headphones you happen to be using at the time, but the mixes won't translate well to other headphones or devices like home stereo, car stereo, ear buds, etc. You can counteract this a bit by checking your mixes on a lot of other devices, but that takes a lot of time and can be frustrating.

You know you're also not supposed to be mixing at ear splitting volumes.

Yes but i cant disturb my roommate so far my mixes have been good, still not studio quality but im using a portastudio and a 100$ mic. I would put the noise level at sbout the same amount of noise in bon ivers for emma, which is ok cos im not in a studio but just a bit more and itll be ok,

I like MoreMe.

You're tracking in the dorm too, right? If that's not disturbing your roomie, presumably mixing at a reasonable volume won't either.

Of course, if we convince you of this, the follow-up thread is "what studio monitors do you recommend for < $100", isn't it? :D

I like MoreMe.

You're tracking in the dorm too, right? If that's not disturbing your roomie, presumably mixing at a reasonable volume won't either.

Of course, if we convince you of this, the follow-up thread is "what studio monitors do you recommend for < $100", isn't it? :D

When i track i di everything except for acoustic guitar and vocals, and niether of those are very loud

Is this $, £ or euros we're talking?

... and as an aside, I know two pro's who do virtually all their mixing on cans - through choice. Commercial releases that do well in one case and a collaborator with well-known producers with impeccable pedigrees in the other.

Of course, both are very experienced and know their cans well. It can be done and some people prefer to.

Many of us prefer to track on closed-back headphones - the actual recording process - and use open-back or semi-open-back for mixing.

So not knowing what your priorities are, I'd suggest that any of the Audio-Technica studio range are worth a closer look, So too the AKG 240 Mk11 - very happy with mine for mixing. The Beyer 770s are also well-regarded....

Back