Need some condenser microphone advice for home:

I contest that it’s the quietest and the best value in the market. Like I said, the differences in electronics of lower tier microphones is marginal at best, and the differences in frequency response can be adjusted with EQ.

There are two things that you are contesting: that the Rode NT1 is the quietest and that it is best value in the market.

As to it being the quietest, that is Rode's claim, but is also attested to by numerous tests. It is not an idle boast.

As to it being best value, that is always down to personal taste and fitness for purpose. There are usually three factors to consider: sound quality, durability of build, and versatility of use.

someone noted the variety of versions that existed, and the consequence variation of quality. The current NT1 (the black one) is the one to aim for.

Just get something and go to work.
Just do some fucking music. As time goes on, your skills will improve and you'll outgrow your gear. Upgrade then.
yep! best advice hear. Unless you have two mics in your hand to compare, you cannote EVER trust mic facts like those hear because they are all personal opinion and not based on being able to judge for yourself. most are perfectly well meant - but it's like picking paint colours for somebody else. some are just highly unlikey to be what you want, but so many names for colours are soooo similar when you see them.

I've never in my life found any mic's self-noise to be an issue unless it's faulty. some are worse by design. one meant for high SPLs is noisier that others on the wrong sound source with the wrong interface or ore-amp. Don't spend lots of money on random boutique products or versions of a mic. you might prefer the 20yr old NT1 on ebay!

Reply to RFR (I can't figure how to get the yellow text directed response method )
Yes I get the frustration. Ironically playing with composition and ideas is pretty much exclusively what I've been doing before I joined the site recently . I've not been around people who I can bounce off and I'm somewhat behind the curve in some very fundamental ways in terms of capturing recordings which I consider decent. Once I can establish some go to kinds of places in techniques and kit ill revert back to what's it really all about

Last edited:
I just love these threads that ask "Which mic should I buy for under $300?" There are a 1000 suggestions coming your way and you will be no closer to the answer. Why? Because it is all in personal taste.

Condenser mics I have bought for under $300 and I rate them all, but for different things, however I could record vocals and acoustic guitars with any of them and get great results:

Microphones:
AKG C4000B (secondhand)
Audio Technica AT3525, 3 off (secondhand)
CAD Trion 8000 (secondhand)
MXL V67 (secondhand)
MXL V67Q (stereo mic)
Rode NT 1000, 2 off (secondhand)
Rode NT 1 (early version), 2 off (new)
Rode NT2 (early version) (new)
Sontronics STC 3X (new)

You will notice how many secondhand mics I have bought, this is a good way to buy a +$600 for under $300.

Alan.

Back