Need to set up a portable recording rig...

K9SaVeLLi

A client of mine is going to Africa and is planning on recording an acoustic african band. Drum cirlce style with different acoustic instuments (jembe, didredoo...sp? etc.) and singing. Years ago she recorded them with a handheld stereo mic and a walkman...she got fair results, but wants better quality this time around.
We kicked around a few ideas...mini disc recorder, laptop with recording software, mic ideas, mixer, soundcards, etc. and I was curious what you guys had to say on the matter.
She wants the rig to be portable and not too cumbersome. Also, because of the location of the villiage, they may or may not have access to electricity, and the recording session may be held indoors or outdoors depending on conditions.
I want there to be enough mics so that when she brings back the project, I have as many mixing capabilities as possible. Please help me with some ideas for a portable set up that will fit my clients needs. Her budget is between $1000-$2000. Thanks in advance.

Finally a topic where i can help....this is what I do , exclusively, archivist for several bands here in Germany. Well..you need mics, power for the mics, pre/ad and storage..

As far as the recorder goes...I would suggest NOT minidisc..they use that awful atrac compression..and the hassle of media just isnt worth it..
The Nomad JB3 is a hard disc recorder that will record up to 16 bit/48 khz of music..comes standard with a 20gig hard drive. VERY easy to use..and many archivists have been using them for a few years..it wasnt originally designed for this purpose..but has optical in, line in, WAV or MP3 recording... there is also the M-Audio microtracker that has just been released ,,,it is still buggy though..firmware and whatnot..there is also the marantz PMD660 which is an all in one box that sounds amazing. This is pre/ad all in one..it records to compact flash. you can get this from www.oade.com ...the oade boys do a mod to it that just makes it SING!...so that would take care of the pre/ad and phantom power AND he also has a package that includes a microphone....http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/PMD-660MODS.html only thing is...she would need a computer to transfer the tracks at the end of each day to allow space for the next days work....does the person have a lappie? if you did the Marantz option...all your needs would be filled...you just need mics after that..because it serves the pre/a/d and phantom power. it sounds AMAZING with the Advanced Concert Mod...here is a description of the mod:

Advanced Concert MOD
The Advanced Concert MOD is designed to optimize recording quality on the 660 for music recording. It removes the line input, the internal mics as well as the limiter and Automatic Level Control from the system. This MOD replaces more internal parts than the basic mod does in order to get the best signal quality possible via the XLR inputs. We use Op Amps for the mic preamp stage that we select by ear for the most detail and musicality possible. The resulting sound is fast, detailed and open sounding, important for recording music or other sources in stereo, less useful for mono voice recordings. It also results in a significant reduction in the noise level and audible High Frequency problems otherwise present in the system. The XLR mic inputs have an input overload point high enough to accommodate +4 dB (XLR/TRS type) line level sources with plennty of headroom to spare.
The PMD660 with the Advanced Concert MOD installed cost 749.00

so you see...this is only 749.00. this would leave you 1200 or so for mics AND flash media...I would suggest this over anything. as far as mics go ...you have many different options...for drum music...DPA 4061s would be amazing on a jecklin disc( a disc that serves as baffle , basically..which i can build)...those are BY FAR the best mics for the acoustic music..the mics are TINY...you would need a pair, (i think a pair goes for 700 or so)as well as the DPA Microdot to XLR connector that allows the Mics to be run off standard 48v phantom(they normally run off 5 volts or so) with XLR connectors...again, you WONT find better mics for acoustic music. the mics are here:you need a PAIR of these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4060BM/

the microdot(the connector that the mics use) to XLR adapters are here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=DPDAD6001&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=282537 (you need two of these to be able to run the mics into the marantz)

like i said..you WONT find better mics for acoustic music in such a price point...I own a pair..love them to death..

so I suggest the Marantz pmd 660 Advanced concert mod,
the DPA 4060 pair, and the dpa Microdot to XLR adapters(2)

, get some flash media...and you have a great rig that will be one to envy!

email me with any questions..oh and of course you need a mic stand stand and a gear bag..

raytheapostle@yahoo.com

Last edited:
Back