Need opinions on future home recording setup

PhilRodriguez

Hello,
I would like to start home recording, I have read a fair amount and come up with a set up. I am a guy by the way.

Its purpose would be to record both vocals and electric/acoustic guitar in a small bedroom.

Here it is:
- Shure SM86 (I hesitated with the Beta58A)
- Shure SM 57
- Focusrite Saffire 6

I realize those are live mics but my room is fairly small and untreated so I figured it would leak heavily.

Do you have any advice/opinion on what to change or any warning on possible hardships to come?

Thank you and happy holidays :}

I am a guy by the way.

That is funny that you felt it necessary to say that; especially when your username is "Phil". :laughings: :D

There is a steep learning curve ahead of you. You took the first step by reading. I suggest read more, then get an idea of what to purchase and know exactly why you are purchasing. This can save you a lot of money.

You'll need to get headphones for tracking. Closed back design to minimize bleed.
You'll need to think about monitors and room treatment. Those two go hand-in-hand. You will need the best possible monitoring environment so you can make informed adjustments come mix time.

Welcome to the site and enjoy.

Hello,
I would like to start home recording, I have read a fair amount and come up with a set up. I am a guy by the way.

Its purpose would be to record both vocals and electric/acoustic guitar in a small bedroom.

Here it is:
- Shure SM86 (I hesitated with the Beta58A)
- Shure SM 57
- Focusrite Saffire 6

I realize those are live mics but my room is fairly small and untreated so I figured it would leak heavily.

Do you have any advice/opinion on what to change or any warning on possible hardships to come?

Thank you and happy holidays :}

It's good you have figured out what to use. The key when starting out is to remember three things. 1-You need the equipment to be easier to use so it doesn't get in the way of your creativity. 2-Your budget is always a consideration and you need to get the most bang for the buck. 3-All that being said, you want the best equipment your money can buy. It does no good if you save money and hate the quality you get. Here's what I found out about your choices:The Saffire 6 is a great unit. I hope yours came with all the attached goodies. It is high quality. Even if your expand, this unit will serve you for field recording. It has phantom power so your condenser mic should work fine. The mics are fine. I would recommend a small diaphragm condenser mic at some point. you'll need to make sure you have phantom power, which I think the Saffire 6 should have. The Rode NT5 is a great mic for that. The 57 is great for electric guitar. but not for acoustic. For electric, just let it hang over the top of the amp with the mic head slightly above cone center. It's one of the easiest and best ways to get a good guitar sound. If your room isn't padded (no pun intended) that's not the real problem. You have to watch out for leakage from outside. Set upi the amp, hang the mic by its cord over the top through the handle and then throw a blanket over the amp. That should cut down on outside sounds. For vocals, sit in the bed with the blanket thrown over you and sing into the mic. This should also work even for acoustic guitar. It will cut down on the outside horn honks and dogs barking, the bane of all home recording. I hope this helps.

Back