Need More GAIN!

Intrepid45

Having trouble getting enough gain out of my computer to capture good samples. Here's the setup.

I'm using AUDACITY to play some samples for recording into a Roland SPD-S sampling pad. The problem is I can't get enough gain to get a nice loud sample. I run AUDACITY through a Samson G-track interface and then through an amplifier to the Roland. I've tried to run through a mixer after the amp and a mixer straight out of the Gtrack, but it just appears to reach it's loudest point and starts to distort. I can't get enough gain for a good loud sample. Any ideas. I'm pretty new at this so it may be my setup. I've always been able to get plenty of volume other wise.

Yes, you could use a Cloudlifter to increase the gain....

but WHY when you can simply put the audio .wavs on the SPD-S compact memory card in the computer and move it to the SPD-S?
SO much easier just to copy the file.

(thats the way I do it on my spud...)

Cloudlifter on what should be a line-level(ish) source? Where is the phantom power to run the Cloudlifter supposed to come from?

This sounds like a basic gain staging problem to me--even with the possibility of digital transfer; what are the levels inside Audacity? If they don't peak, normalize the samples. That should cause the G-Track to output about -10dBV. I'd have to think any following device would be happy enough with that.

Having the samples peak close to 0dBFS is probably also a good idea for a digital transfer . . .

If the samples are recorded with the G-Track mic and they come in too low, then that should be fixed on the front-end otherwise signal-to-noise will suffer. Play louder, move the mic closer, increase the G-Track input gain, etc.

Yea I guess the fix was pretty easy. Didn't realize how easy it was to just move the wav files over to a card and then import. I love that SPDS though. Easy to use, quality sound output and apparently well made. The preloaded samples are just OK IMO.

Thanks all!

Back