need immediate help with Dynaudio BM5a compact monitors

Soulgolem

So i did something stupid, i bought a used pair of Dynaudio BM5a Compact without noticing they were the compact version and not the regular BM5a, the seller didn't help, i'm not sure what went through me at that moment, over excitement or something, bottom line, i brought them home THEN realized they were the compact version.

Talked to the seller after that, we argued a bit, he admitted he had given me a lot of confusion information as in those monitors being the MK2 version, there never was a Compact MK2 version, also the ad was pretty convincing in telling you it was the BM5a MK2 version.

Anywayyyyy, after a bit of arguing, he agreed to refund me tomorrow after he agreed we were both to blame.

Thing is, they sound greaaaat, but i don't have time to do a mix and see how well it translates, even if it were the BM5a i would probably have gotten a sub in the future. Anyone have any experience with those ?

How do they compare in a mixing environment to the regular BM5a version ?

How do they compare in a mixing environment to the regular BM5a version ?

Depends on your mixing environment.

I'm just curious about one thing...how do you bring them all the way home, and not notice what they were? :)
I mean, I can see having them shipped and there were no pics or anything...but I would think you would look at them if you're picking them up.

Look...if you like them, keep them.
If your conscience is going to eat away at you...return them and get what you really want.

Depends on your mixing environment.

I'm just curious about one thing...how do you bring them all the way home, and not notice what they were? :)
I mean, I can see having them shipped and there were no pics or anything...but I would think you would look at them if you're picking them up.

Look...if you like them, keep them.
If your conscience is going to eat away at you...return them and get what you really want.

They look the same as the other version, i didn't even know they made a compact version, they did feel smaller to me, but the guy seemed to be moving and the monitors were lying on the floor, they're also pretty heavy and i'm not a big guy, anything looks big next to me, but in all seriousness, i had much on my mind and the guy wasn't helping by never mentioning the word compact and claiming they were BM5a MKIIs (his words), the Compact series never had an MKII, there's the original (MK1) and then the new one (MK3).

I do like them, but what i want from them is to translate well, i don't feel like i've over paid, i actually think it was a good deal for them that's why i'm debating if they're good for my needs. Now that i know they exist, i'm actually considering them you know ?

BUT, impoooooosible to find user reviews on them in a studio environment for some reason, so i need professional flair upon them, while the best test is to use them on a regular basis and see what becomes, i'm sure a lot of peeps here can bring good insight based on past experiences with similar products and data charts.

Try Gearslutz.com...only because there are a lot of commercial studio guys there, and they would step up to more expensive monitors like the Dynaudio stuff than the majority of guys here...especially if you are looking for specifc info about these rarer "compact" versions.

Sorry...that's all I got.

Ok. A couple of points stood out.
1) you like them and they sound good.
2) the price was good.
3) you wonder hiw they will translate

So it wasn't what was intended or as advertised.

The thing is you got them, at this point you own them. They are yours.

You like em ? Keep and use them.

Reveiws are useless. They just tell you the popularity of a monitor and Gearslutz is fickle as all hell.
One month it's Focal, the next, JBL, the next Barefoot, etc.

You wont know crap until you use and LEARN them. It would be the same with your preferred model as well. What others think means little. How they work in your room means everything.

I'm assuming you bought local. How every often does a set even come up.

I'd keep and use them. If down the road you don't like them, put them up for sale.

Ok. A couple of points stood out.
1) you like them and they sound good.
2) the price was good.
3) you wonder hiw they will translate

So it wasn't what was intended or as advertised.

The thing is you got them, at this point you own them. They are yours.

You like em ? Keep and use them.

Reveiws are useless. They just tell you the popularity of a monitor and Gearslutz is fickle as all hell.
One month it's Focal, the next, JBL, the next Barefoot, etc.

You wont know crap until you use and LEARN them. It would be the same with your preferred model as well. What others think means little. How they work in your room means everything.

I'm assuming you bought local. How every often does a set even come up.

I'd keep and use them. If down the road you don't like them, put them up for sale.

Thank you for those wise words ! Makes a lot of sense to me.

I'd like to know something though, are there any limitations to a smaller woofer ? I see a lot of professionals insist on going with the largest woofers they can afford (the 7 and 8 inchers) even if they use a sub with their setup..

Thank you for those wise words ! Makes a lot of sense to me.

I'd like to know something though, are there any limitations to a smaller woofer ? I see a lot of professionals insist on going with the largest woofers they can afford (the 7 and 8 inchers) even if they use a sub with their setup..

"Pros" tend to have bigger, better damped rooms and so for a given SPL level/LF cut off they need a bigger speaker.
There is a trade of between LF cut off, cone size, box size, max SPL and power handling. In smaller, livelier domestic rooms (up to say 1500cu ft) a 5 inch cone will probably serve so long as you do not expect 30Hz trouser flap. Even smaller rooms and location setups can get away with 4inchers.

Many of the budget monitors "tune" the cabs to give a superficially impressive bass sound but at the expense of a smooth response. Dynaudio are a respected speaker company, I doubt they would be guilty of that.

Lastly, beware of subs, especially something tacked onto an existing setup and not bought as an integrated whole. You want truthful, tuneful bass not Mr Subaru Imprezza "one note thud"! Instead spend you money on bass traps and FFS buy a C weighted SPL meter and read Massive's Missive on monitor calibration!

Dave.

I had a bit of a look over the spec sheets, and did a bit of reading.

The general differences are that the Compact model is aimed at film/video/broadcast post production studios, rather than music recording studios.
From what I've read the two models are voiced differently, and the cabinet resonance is 3hz different on the spec sheets (58hz vs 55hz).

They should be very similar in almost every respect from a technical POV - same amps and cones used, but a slightly different voicing. Still should be very nice to work with in the studio, I used to work somewhere with bm5a mkii's and they were crisp and clear enough for me with my taste for slightly forensic monitoring.

I didnt know they had added the compact..

The specs:

Attachments

• BM5A compact.png
    BM5A compact.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 51
Back