++Need Help regarding the next step in recording E-Guitars into DAWs++

Tabanca

Hi volks,

excuse my possibly not so good english as i am joining you from europe.

Regarding my situation:

I am mainly recording my Electric Guitar Signal using a Steinberg UR-22 (trough the second input) and "powering it via "Hi-Z". For the recording i use Guitar Rig 5, Amplidtube Metal, Vandal VST etc.
But i have the strange feeling that there seems to be missing something i mean the main Signal ist good via Hi-Z though but i somehow think that it would be nice to havea good Modeling Amp with the possibility to integrate it in the DAW via USB like this one here for example:

Fender Mustang I V.2

Because i don´t prefer the "recording E-Guitar through the microphone directly from the amp" method. I am not the only one at home you know so i want to do it more in a discreet way, you know what i mean.
My actual Budget is 140 €.

But you know i am relatively new to this whole recording thing. So maybe i wont need a modelling amp but something different to buy.

Because my setup involves an Ibanez RG 421 (modified with Dimarzio Evolution Pickups at the bridge and the Neck) and she sounds good allthough i think there is something missing to power up the dimarzio evolution pickuüs alittle bit more, and a Steinberg UR-22 Audiointerface. I am mainly using FL Studio 11 because of the superb workflow. But i am trying out Pro Tools as well at the moment (allthough i find it a little complicated).

So i just want to know what you would buy next if you were in my position. What would be needen to reach the next level at recording? A good modeling amp to power the Dimarzio Evolution pickups or something completely different?

Thank you all in advance

Cheers Tabanca

I really think you could delay the amp models purchase, go straight into the DAW with the input 2 of the Steinberg and start using the plugins to see what sound you're getting. There is no rule that says an e-guitar has to have an amp plugin. If you can't get the sound you want, start looking at Amp sims. I purchased some amp sims, they are OK, but they are just sims and really don't care if it sounds like Fender X Amp or what ever. I just care about the sound

With the right plug ins, you can still model your sound (EQ, delay, reverb, etc.) everything you need is right there in a plug in. Try it and see what you get. You can buy an amp plugin if you are looking for that special sound, or you could create an effect package for a sound you want.

My two cents.

OK thank you DM60. So i won´t necessarily need a Modeling Amp. But what if i don´t want to buy those Amp Sims, but rather want to add something to the Hardwarechain between my Ibanez RG421 and the Steinberg UR-22? What would i have to purchaise as a good addition that would show itsself as as beneficial in the recording process`?

OK thank you DM60. So i won´t necessarily need a Modeling Amp. But what if i don´t want to buy those Amp Sims, but rather want to add something to the Hardwarechain between my Ibanez RG421 and the Steinberg UR-22? What would i have to purchaise as a good addition that would show itsself as as beneficial in the recording process`?

So really, it is using a mic to get that sound. You could build a cabinet (try and keep as much sound in as possible), stick a mic in there and record that way. There is a thread on here from Grimtraveler who was doing something similar as he lives in an apartment.

Something like that? Or I think the Line6's have modelers built in them. Guitar folks would be better able to answer that. I play, but I just go straight in as I am not that picky with my guitar and bass sounds.

Just remember if you buy an amp with USB to record, you will no longer be using your UR22 (only one USB audio device at a time in your DAW, although you might be able to use it for monitoring) - and the USB output is going to be a converted version of what is coming out of the speaker of the amp (less the speaker's "color") unless you plug headphones into the amp to mute the speaker.

This is really confusing. So i will loose quality if i record my Guitar trough USB Modelling Amps. My question is simple though: I am using a decent E-Guitar with very good Pickups, and a UR-22 Audiointerface. What should i buy next to enhance my recording quality or lets say to power up the Dimarzio Evolution Pickups and get them burning.

Tabanca, I have had awesome results by plugging the guitar directly into the AI/SC and then cab modeling it with softwares such as Overloud, Guitar Rig, Amplitube or whatever. This modern impulse technology used in the amp modeling stuff is really awesome.

:)

Beside the fact that it is almost completely idiot-proof and too much more easier than use an amp with a microphone in front of it (old school) I sincerely cannot tell the difference. For my ears to 'put some air' in the equation really don't change anything. If I was in your shoes, I would save the money that you are willing to spend on this Fender cube, unless, of course, that you are going to use it for rehearsals, gigs, etc. Other than that I think that you will get dispointed with the recording results.

Please don't get me wrong... I am not saying that there is not a merit on record electric guitar with the old-school method. Actually it may be remarkable BUT only if you are an experienced studio rat that know what you're doing. Other than that it is just a matter of luck: you may get an awesome take today and a crappy one tomorrow without have the lesser idea of what you made different in the two times.

Good luck!

Seriously, you don't need any damn thing between your guitar and the interface. Those pickups have a pretty high DC resistance. While it's not always the best indicator, I would expect them to pretty hot (like loud) and relatively dark (like, not a lot of treble). A good Hi-Z input will get you everything you possibly can get out of those pickups, and anything you might want to do in hardware (debatably short of an actual amp/microphone, which you've already written off) between the guitar and interface can be done better in software.

What exactly do you mean by "power up"?

You want more volume to hit the amp sim harder and get more overdrive/distortion? Like I said, those pickups should be plenty hot to begin, but you can always turn up the Input knob on whatever amp sim plugin you're using.

Do you want more treble, or high end zing? There you might have a problem. Short of rewiring the guitar, there really isn't much you can do. You might get some mileage out of an EQ cutting lows and low mids and then amplifying the remainder, but if there's no treble to begin with, there's nothing but noise to boost in that range...

Do you want it to feel louder and meaner while you're actually playing? Turn up your monitors or headphones. Turning up the headphones won't help with sustain or "body buzz", but...

Ok guys thank you for your answers.

ashcat_lt you are right though. I figured out that the Hi-Z IS enough to get a strong signal. I was just too dumb to set the output channel correctly. I learned about this by watching a youtube video of expirienced musicians on how to set up the in and outputs.

So should i buy a multieffectsunit instead? Or a DI-Box to further enhance the signal? Or both? You know i just want to buy something to further shape the sound. I don´t know if i really need a multieffectsunit regarding the fact that the Hi-Z in use with GuitR Rig 5 might be enough. But still asking myself what to buy though.

By 'enhance the signal', do you mean to make your recorded guitar sound like it's gone through an amplifier and other effects? If so, you can just take the signal you're getting into the computer now and apply Guitar Rig or Amplitube or a similar plugin to it in your DAW. You can download free versions of both I mention to have a go before you decide to buy anything.

If you are using the FX in Guitar Rig, you don't need to use an outboard FX unit - unless there is an outboard one that gives you effects you can't do with software.

I would suggest spending your money either on plugins, a hardware controller for the plugins, another guitar, or (probably much better) the other end of the signal chain - monitor speakers and acoustic treatment for studio, decent PA for live.

So should i buy a multieffectsunit instead? Or a DI-Box to further enhance the signal? Or both? You know i just want to buy something to further shape the sound. I don´t know if i really need a multieffectsunit regarding the fact that the Hi-Z in use with GuitR Rig 5 might be enough. But still asking myself what to buy though.
Actually you don't have to buy anything unless you are really in need of it. To buy something randomically won't make your sound to record better. Now if you are just trying to choke your GAS then...

An amp sim doesn't give a shit about your pickups or guitar. Just plug into your interface and use a sim in your DAW. You can fake the output of any pickup within the sim. You don't need to enhance anything. Sims are made to be easy so any ol basement shmoe can use them.

Back