Need help with recording stuff.

Haritik

Hey there. I was looking for a place where I could ask this, and I guess I've finally found one.

I'm actually thinking of making a youtube channel for acoustic guitar covers. But there's one problem, I'll have to record outdoors, because for some weird reasons I cannot do it at home. The thing is, I know places wheres its quieter than anywhere else. But the problem is, outdoors won't provide me power supply for my microphone.

I'm yet to buy a microphone though. I'm thinking of using my laptop for recording. I went to this store to check out some microphones. I tried connecting a dynamic mic [around 30USD or 1800 INR] to my laptop using the 3.5mm jack to the inbuilt audio card, but it couldn't catch my voice from a distance more than 15 cm.

I haven't tried a condenser mic, because it'd need a phantom power supply, which won't be possible. I can also buy a mic which has inbuilt power[using batteries]. But I'm not sure how well does it work. It's like 40 USD.[2500 INR]

What can I do? I'm clueless. For acoustic covers, I need to place the mic atleast a feet[12 inches or 30 centimeters] away from me. The dynamic microphone did nothing good for me. Should I go for a condenser? If yes, will it catch the voice as good as I want it to? Remember its the one without the phantom power.

Or if I buy mic like the BM 8000, can it be used for recording without phantom power?

Thanks for reading. Your replies will be highly appreciated.
Cheers!

Hi there,

I think the best solution, with portability, budget etc in mind, is probably a handheld stereo recorder.

Something like a Tascam or Zoom stereo model will let you record a stereo image with the pair of inbuilt condenser microphones for hours on end.

With video in mind it's probably a better solution too, because those handhelds are quite discreet. You could have it on the ground 4-5 feet away, angled up towards your face and the camera wouldn't even see it.
If you need it to be closer then most recorders have a stand mount on them and you could use that.

Not essential but you could expand the options with a 4track model like the Tascam DR40.
It lets you record stereo with the inbuilt mics and also record from one or two separate microphones.

You could let the stereo mics record your guitar and use a close up dynamic for your voice.

There are a few options and different ways you could go but I think a handheld recorder is probably the most suitable foundation.

Hope that's helpful.

Hey, thanks for the answer. I'll take a look at these handheld stereo microphones as you've said.

There's one more thing I wanted to ask, are lapel mics good? I'm getting a lapel mic for about 10USD. I'm not sure what is it gonna be like, the build and the quality etc..

Hey, thanks for the answer. I'll take a look at these handheld stereo microphones as you've said.

There's one more thing I wanted to ask, are lapel mics good? I'm getting a lapel mic for about 10USD. I'm not sure what is it gonna be like, the build and the quality etc..

haha It should sound like a $10 MIC ?

Consider spending extra - like for a Zoom Q2n

The (also Zoom) H4N Pro is quite good at picking up what's in front of it. It's going to sound like the space it's in though -- No way around that.

In theory a lapel might could be good but, as Garww says, that's awfully cheap and the chances are it will sound like it.

I suppose for the price you could try it, but I'd still want to pair if with a recording device that's better than laptop line-input. 100%...

Well, the laptop is fine by itself. That never stopped too many acoustic covers on the Toob. You will get less sound on open ground. Even with better gear, your skills will be tested. You can get some sound from natural and manmade formations. If the camera is OK, there is also the USB LDC MIC. Park Picnic Pavilion, picnic table, laptop, USB MIC on its desktop stand;
Samson Go Mic Portable USB Condenser Microphone | Sweetwater

Thats at $40 and you can spend more

I'm actually thinking of making a youtube channel for acoustic guitar covers. But there's one problem, I'll have to record outdoors, because for some weird reasons I cannot do it at home. The thing is, I know places wheres its quieter than anywhere else. But the problem is, outdoors won't provide me power supply for my microphone.
Cheers!

Keep in mind that recording outside will bring its own problems that might be more than just about getting power.

If you're doing that to avoid noise in your indoor environment...consider finding a rental rehearsal studio, and go in there on the quiet off times, and record away. That way you can bring your gear and plug in...and its a much more controlled environment..and also, no one will be listening to you as you record (if that's part of your problem). :)

GEEEEZ! I get enough trouble INDOORS with pigeon and other animals, cars, low flying piston engined aircraft, strimmers....The temp' has now hit 25C and it is dry so the manic barbeque parties will be raving soon(till they go down with E.Coli!)

Dave.

25C ? Geez we've been trying to bump 40C for over a week. With the high temps and UV index, flys seem less likely to buzz ones MIC.

Attachments

• tempture_33.jpg
    tempture_33.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back