Need help with a recording dilemma...

imsharris

Okay, I am trying to make a decision and I am having a hard time with it. Right now I have been recording with an MXL 990/991 combo through a Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen directly into my computer or my iPad for recording videos and Facebook Live sessions. It has worked well but I am thinking that I would kind of like to upgrade just a little. I understand that most of these condensers in this price range are not really going to be that much different than each other but I am hoping for maybe just a little bit of an upgrade to the MXL's. I am wanting to still have a mic specifically for the acoustic and one specifically for voice. I have been looking at the AKG P120 and P170. I am wondering if this would actually be a slight upgrade or not?

My second dilemma is that I would like to get something a little bit more than the 2i2. I have narrowed it down to either a Zoom H6 or Mackie ProFX12v2. I know that they are two completely different beasts with completely different pros and cons. I like that the Zoom is portable and provides the opportunity to record with the x/y condenser as well as plugging other mics in and running direct. With the Mackie I like the idea of the built in effects and the fact that I would be able to use it live when it is more than just me. Right now I use a Mackie 802VLZ 4 into a QSC K10.2 when playing solo live gigs. My main plan for using this rig would be to feed it into a Canon T7i so I can video and archive my song library and record lesson videos for my kids and Facebook Live sessions.

I keep talking myself in and out of each one! So, hopefully you guys can help me come to a final decision.

I'd Have never put those two products in as 'upgrades' to your interface? I doubt the zoom sounds better and it's a fudge to use it as an interface. It's a portable recorder and it does that function well. The Mackie again is designed for a different job. Do you want a mixer, rather than use a daw? I don't understand what you really want to do?

Okay, maybe not necessarily an "upgrade" when it comes to interface. I'm truly just thinking out loud right now. The 2i2 is wonderful and works well but I am thinking of situations when I might want more inputs. I would like to have a condenser for vocals, one for acoustic and then I would also like to run the acoustic direct. I would also like the ability to run something directly into my camera. So maybe I am really more looking for more inputs. The reason that I thought about the Zoom and the Mackie is because I could see them being used for other things as well. I like the idea of being able to record anywhere with the Zoom. I like the idea of being able to record with the x/y mic at different locations without plugging anything in. The Mackie is just something that I know that I would eventually need when adding other players and it has the ability to easily plug into my iPad or laptop. I understand that they are two completely different things, I am just trying to see if I have overlooked any Pros or Cons in the two.

I was also wondering if the AKG P120 and P170 would even be a slight upgrade to the 990/991 combo?

The mics are not really an upgrade IMO, and the Zoom vs Mackie are a puzzling choice.

What you have would seem to support solo recording (vocal + instrument) of any kind of lesson video, since you can add a headphone amp and send one of those outputs to camera at home, or just send the Mackie's headphone out to a camera live.

If you want to record live and also have the option of supporting more channels live with multi-channel recording, then perhaps one of the Presonus StudioLive line (or other similar digital mixers) might be a better upgrade path for the Mackie. Once you have more performers, just a good dynamic mic might be a worthwhile addition, too.

The Zoom H6 is a great multi-channel field recorder that I have had for probably 5 years and use frequently, but as an interface it's "fiddly" IME and I'd only use it for that "in a pinch." If you are looking at it solely for the built-in mics, there are cheaper options, too (Zoom's own H4n/H5, as well as other makes); but it's not something I'd include in the upgrade list for the use cases you describe.

Thank you, that really helps me with the info about the H6! Yes, most of the stuff that I do will be acoustic and vocals live. I guess that I was looking at the H6 as more as a "portable mixer" if that makes sense at all. That may be why I was including it with the Mackie. The nice thing about the Mackie is the simple ability to connect to computer or iPad and the included effects. While I do understand that those effects aren't the best, they are passable for someone that usually only adds maybe some slight reverb and it would also have the ability to tweak the tone a little more than running directly into the 2i2.

As far as the H6 goes, I was turned onto it because there are so many people that use the H6 or H5 with their cameras for better recording in the field. That is why that was one of the options.

I have two P150s, the precursor to the P170 and yes, they are decent little mics but I agree, firmly in the "good budget mic" box.

I am very impressed by the review in SoS March 18 of the sE Electronics Se8 SDCs. £300 a matched pair, pads, HPFilters and a much better noise figure than is usual for SDCs (way better than the 150/170)

Had I the need that is where my ill gottens would go!

Dave.

Okay, you guys have got me doing a little more research. Maybe I am totally fine with my 2i2 and what I really need to do is invest that money in a couple of better microphones! I can use the 2i2 to mic vocals and acoustic without running the acoustic direct. If I ever want to run the acoustic direct I can always hook my Mackie 802vlz4 to the 2i2 to add the extra input. Thinking maybe the sE8 and sE2200?

Okay, you guys have got me doing a little more research. Maybe I am totally fine with my 2i2 and what I really need to do is invest that money in a couple of better microphones! I can use the 2i2 to mic vocals and acoustic without running the acoustic direct. If I ever want to run the acoustic direct I can always hook my Mackie 802vlz4 to the 2i2 to add the extra input. Thinking maybe the sE8 and sE2200?

No, you can't? Yes, you can hook the 802 to the line inputs of the 2i2 IF you wanted the EQ of the mixer and the mic pres MIGHT have a bit more gain/lower noise but I doubt it, F'rite pres are usually pretty good.

If you were thinking of getting 4 tracks recorded you need an AI with ADDITIONAL line inputs such as my (superb!) NI KA6.

Ah! I see the 802vlz4 has THREE mic inputs! IF mnfctrs are going to rip each others model Nos, WTF can't they be consistent with the %$£!g speccs!? ...So, you COULD plug in 3 mics and have two panned hard L&R and one in'middle.

Dave.

Back