Need help with an interface...

imsharris

Okay, so due to space limitations I am trying to minimize my recording setup as much as possible. I have decided to go with an interface over some other options. I am only going to be recording 1 guitar and vocals. Occasionally it will be an acoustic, other times an electric. I don't have any pickups with more gain than Gibson 57's. Mostly I will be using a vintage Fender Jaguar for the electric and a Taylor 716ce for the acoustic. As far as the vocals go I will either be using a Miktek PM9 or MXL 990 condenser. Not really any effects, I will be running it direct probably into Garage Band on a MacBook Pro although I would also like the ability to use my iPad at times.

I had been looking at things like the Presonus Audiobox iTwo, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4. 2i4 may really be more than I need. I would really appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

What about future planning? Is there any possibility that in the future you might want to record more than 2 separate tracks at the same time? If so, you'll save money in the long run by getting an interface now with that number of inputs/preamps. If you're set with 2, also look at the Steinberg UR22.

No, I won't ever need to record more than just one guitar and vocals. I'm old and have no more delusions of grandeur. HAHAHA Really it is just to make some backing/practice tracks, so I don't need a huge setup. I would rather have it small and portable as well. I just think that something like the small 2 input interfaces would be just about everything that I would ever really need.

M-Audio's M-Track and Presonus Audiobox both run $100. Cheap and good quality gear. If you're looking for a better unit, the Tascam UH700 or Apogee Duet are hard to beat.

No, I won't ever need to record more than just one guitar and vocals. I'm old and have no more delusions of grandeur. HAHAHA Really it is just to make some backing/practice tracks, so I don't need a huge setup. I would rather have it small and portable as well. I just think that something like the small 2 input interfaces would be just about everything that I would ever really need.

See, that wasn't the question... it was whether you'd be recording more than two tracks at once. Generally that would not mean recording guitar and vocals at the same time, but perhaps using more than one mic on the same source.... not quite the same thing.

General advice from me would be:

2 XLR inputs
Additional line inputs x 2
MIDI
Phantom power

... because you just never know where this will lead you.

Sorry, my lame attempt at humor. I would never be recording anything more than two sources at one time. I really don't have a need for midi so it isn't really high on the priority list.

Sorry, my lame attempt at humor. I would never be recording anything more than two sources at one time. I really don't have a need for midi so it isn't really high on the priority list.

Just incase.....
Are you ever likely to stereo mic that acoustic guitar?
If so, that + vocals would be 3 tracks/3 simultaneous inputs.

Hi all, we are entering the world of home recording and started laying down some demo tracks. There is so much to learn but it is also so much fun. Let me tell you what I'm using before I ask a couple of questions.

Dou Core Mac Mini 16 gig of RAM
Logic Pro X
Akia EIE interface
Couple cheap dynamic mics
Audix OM2
Audix D2
Basically your basic garage band gear.

Question 1
We are not happy with what we're getting when we record our drums so I'm looking at buying a set of lower end drum mics. The CAD Stage 7 good or bad idea for beginners?

Question 2
Looking at upgrading to the PreSonus Audiobox 1818 interface but intend to continue using the Logic Pro X. Any thoughts?

Question 3
What would you recommend when it comes to mixing monitors for beginners on a very tight budget?

Thanks

Hi all, we are entering the world of home recording and started laying down some demo tracks. There is so much to learn but it is also so much fun. Let me tell you what I'm using before I ask a couple of questions.

Dou Core Mac Mini 16 gig of RAM
Logic Pro X
Akia EIE interface
Couple cheap dynamic mics
Audix OM2
Audix D2
Basically your basic garage band gear.

Question 1
We are not happy with what we're getting when we record our drums so I'm looking at buying a set of lower end drum mics. The CAD Stage 7 good or bad idea for beginners?

Question 2
Looking at upgrading to the PreSonus Audiobox 1818 interface but intend to continue using the Logic Pro X. Any thoughts?

Question 3
What would you recommend when it comes to mixing monitors for beginners on a very tight budget?

Thanks

Um, this is something we would call a 'thread jack'. Please start your own thread as a new topic. :)

Focusrite iTrack or Scarlett Solo would be good.

Steinberg UR-22 is rock solid unit at pretty low price with Yamaha preamp and record up to 192 kHz / 24-bit. Only downside maybe that phantom power button can only switch on/off both channels at the same time..

Back