Need Help Getting Crisp Vocal Audio When Recording.

The Inebirati

I have thus far successfully recorded the instrument parts for three of my songs. But i'm having major issues recording vocals.

I have a Behringer C1-U USB Studio Condenser Mic

I have CUBASE LE5 Editing software.

And after testing the mic out when I first got it and thinking the audio quality was a tad lacklustre I built a small sound booth for recording. Like the one in this picture:
f (2).jpg

But even now the vocals come in either incredibly tinny and sharp without the booth, or muffled with it.

I've used various Inserts and VST plugins. As well as messing around with the 4 track Equalizer on the recorded track, so as to cut out the unwanted high and low end noise. Which does help a little, but not enough, I can't seem to find a middle ground between muffled or tinny.

I've also messed around with the sensitivity of the Mic in the Win 8 control pannel, but still it kind of sucks.

I can't even get the basic crispness average youtube vloggers get.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what else I can do i.e. get a better mic or something? (bearing in mind I have a very limited budget.)

In regards to your question, there are many posts that address your question. I am not trying to be a dick, but there is much here on this site about the topic. Read dood. :)

And welcome to the forum! If I had direct advice I would try to help. :)

I could offer advice, but anything I say will involve getting rid of the ice-chest "booth"...getting rid of that mic...getting rid of the whole USB approach....getting something that resembles a decent mic/pre combination....getting the mic away from the computer and out in a better environment....and then finally, focusing on your singing technique....

...but I'm not sure how much of that would appeal to you.

Luckily, I didn't have to pay for the mic I was given it by a friend and wanted to try it before paying fr anything, and I do have a pre amp for my guitar/bass stuff

It's a Lexicon Alpha, which has been more than perfect for recording my instruments. But I guess i'm going to have to find a way to invest in a better mic.

Any suggestions?

What kind of voice do you have....what style of music are you doing...how much are you looking to spendf

If your room isn't great sounding I would recommend something with a tight polar pattern that you can get close to. This will keep the sound of the room out of the picture a bit more. Since you stated your budget is very limited I would suggest a SM57 or SM58. You can pick one up used for under 50 dollars fairly easily. If you are willing to spend a bit more the SM7b will give similar but tastier results. A SM57/SM58/SM7 combined with a solid mic pre will give you a great sound.

Also get rid of that mic booth. As you said before it is going to muffle the sound. Ultimately you are going to want some proper acoustic treatment but putting blankets close to the source of flutter echoes can reduce some of the tinniness you are referring to without breaking the bank.

I agree with JG. A dynamic mic is your best bet without room treatment. Anything is better than that 'booth' thing you have. That is actually creating more issues with reflections. You are in essence creating an even smaller space for the mic. The foam is not absorbing all of the reflections. You may as well stand in front of a wall...

At the very least get just off the center of your room and hang some blankets or better pink insulation forming a 'V' behind your mic. Then something similar behind you. The purpose of this is not to attenuate sound leaving your throat behind the mic. It is the reflections coming back to the mic after it hits the walls. This is why your 'booth' thingy is not working. Throw it away.

Here is what I use. Hanging rockwool panels in a treated room.

Wow, that is an old pic. What the hell is up with that wall blanket? lol

Attachments

• GOBO.JPG
    GOBO.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 62
The cheapest option I would recommend to get your much better results would be am sm7b, FMR Audio RNP and RNC. Finally, build some homemade acoustic panels. Overall investment if items are used, around $700 but will take your game to a whole to level.

But to be honest, after that level I wasn't happy so went on to the next level, then the next, etc. Better to save yourself years of trial and error... Just spend the big bucks up front. You'll save way more in the long run.

Thanks for the helps guys

I've already converted my 'booth' thing into a large 'V' shaped object to go behind the mic. I'll also definitely be giving back this mic back to my friend and invest in a new one. God knows how he records anything with it.

Back