Need A Decent Interface to use Rack Mounts

Trilltrax

At the moment I've got only a mbox 2 mini. I wish to use my Aphex Aural Exciter 104 w/ big bottom in my mixes (outboard).

I've looked at the saffire unit, motu and presonus. I basically need more I/O's so I can send a signal out of Pro Tools into the Exciter and then back into pro Tools with the effected track.

Any suggestions?

My suggestion is to do all your processing in the box unless you can afford high end converters and hardware that justifies the extra conversions.

BBE makes a plugin version of their Sonic Maximizer that is probably quite similar to the Aural Exciter, including a low frequency process. You can have as many instances of that open as your computer can handle so it's like having multiple hardware units that you can place on individual channels, subgroups or the master bus without going through any budget D/A/D conversions.

bouldersoundguy is right on - you'd also have to start dealing with latency any time you go DA/AD. Not a huge concern with time-based effects, but for dynamic effects it can be time consuming dealing with phase issues.

If you're looking for decent rack mounted I/O check out two FMR RNP mounted in a Funk Logic enclosure. Four channels in a 1u rack.

Back