Natural Reverb distortion

NYMorningstar

Recording Modus Operandi
I've always liked the sound of live acoustic guitar when standing in entranceways or vestibules of houses because of the reverb. I've been trying different places to record at home and noticed in my vestibule when I sing past a certain volume, it records sounding distorted. I'm tracking at about -20 db so I'm pretty sure it's not clipping. I know I have a big mouth but what's going on here?:D

If I step out of the entrance the reverb is reduced and it records without the distortion at the same volume?

Is it possible that some sub hearing frequency is being built up & recorded running thing awry?

Could it be that your voice is just kicking out some extra edge/crackle as you push it -although you'd likely have noticed that in other recording.

Oops. "If I step out of the entrance the reverb is reduced and it records without the distortion at the same volume?" Maybe you covered that already.

Last edited:
It's comb-filtering that sounds like an edgey buzz. If you listen to it, I'll bet that the 'distortion' is at a constant frequency.

It's comb-filtering that sounds like an edgey buzz. If you listen to it, I'll bet that the 'distortion' is at a constant frequency.
I think you got it there. I was using two condensor mics and it was the same frequency once I reached a certain volume. I'll give it a try with just one mic and let you know. Thank you once again :)

Back