Name this crappy song and modern DI for bass

_brian_

Hiya, I wonder if you could help me with a couple of things. I used to have a Sansamp bass driver but sold it when I had to regain cash, and I'm trying to get gear together for an amateur studio again. I'm wondering if plugins have gotten to the stage of not requiring anything other than a good clean DI to record bass, and a bit of computer patience.

Of course I used to record from a miked trace elliot amp along with the sansamp and I think I received good results, but I'm all into this bang for buck business.

Also, I've got a song in my head that I heard a long time ago and I don't know what it is so I made a crap recording so I can ask if anyone can tell me what the hell it is before I go more mad than what I am! Recording is here;

https://soundcloud.com/user-209258520/unknown

PS I know it's a crap recording, the delays in playing are me thinking what notes might come next :p

Theme from "The Young and the Restless"... ? :laughings: ;)

Not sure what you mean about plugs and DI bass.
I track DI bass all the time...and plugs have nothing to do with it...it's just the straight bass.
Are you asking about plugs that you can use to then alter the DI bass track?
Try Waves Renaissance Bass...it's great for taking a DI bass track and shaping it into whatever you need.

Theme from "The Young and the Restless"... ? :laughings: ;)

Not sure what you mean about plugs and DI bass.
I track DI bass all the time...and plugs have nothing to do with it...it's just the straight bass.
Are you asking about plugs that you can use to then alter the DI bass track?
Try Waves Renaissance Bass...it's great for taking a DI bass track and shaping it into whatever you need.

-------------------------------------

I'm just really interested to know if I can get some acceptable dirt and colour from a plugin nowadays like I got from the Sansamp or if the plugins still sound kinda crappy and synthetic. I've used older versions of cubase (SX) and the plugins I found at that time were pretty useless. If I can't get a decent plugin then I'll have to get some external gear, but that will cost more.

And no, that aint the song :p

It's done on strings not the piano I used, and the strings are very cutting. There's also drums that come in, kind of epic sounding from what I remember. But I'm sure it's very well known and that's what's annoying me. Sounds kinda 80s but might not be an 80s thing, might be a movie instrumental.

i have had great success doing a "dual-mono" bass recording the following way:
plug bass into rodam j48 di box
plug j48 mic out into track 1
plug j48 "thru" port into track 2
record
eq track 1 to accent mid-hi's w/ hi pass around 150 Hz
eq track 2 to accent subsonics w/hi pass @ 40 Hz, low pass @ 5 KHz
route both into a mono group w/brickwall limiter (waves H-Comp?) then a saturator (DadaLife's Sausage Fattener?)
mix tracks 1&2 to get the sound that works with the track. Done!

PS: if the gear is less than optimal, you may need to eq tracks 1 & 2 separately, but remember to NEVER SOLO EQ!

PSS: if you're lazy, you can try just piping the track into GuitarRig 5, they did a fantastic job on their cab emu's

Excellent, I'll try guitar rig first before making a decision on the DI front.

I'm surprised no one knows that instrumental piece!

The darkglass B7k seems to get all the hype these days as a bass di, but it's a pricey little sucker.

I've been happy with the BBE bmax preamp I use. I have seen them around d for like $150 ish. It's not great for dirt though. As far as I can tell via demos the b7k is.

You know what, I bought an Eden WTDI to use as a preamp for my electric upright bass to give me more eq options and to boost the level up a bit to match my other basses when playing live. I used it to track some bass in the studio the other day and it sounded very good.

Alan.

Was that not a theme for a 60's movie? I have a spy movie in my head but probably miles off?

Nothing wrong with di for bass and loads of cheap plug ins and amp / cab Sims that will compete with sans amp.

If you keep a clean track you can always di later.

The dual mono thing can work great, but with a daw there is no reason the record two tracks. Just record the one and copy/paste it.

Sometimes I do that with three separate tracks. That way I can adjust the amount of distortion/saturation on each of the frequency ranges to get the effect that I want.

Generally, I will distort the lows heavily, to keep them smooth. Then add a little crunch to the mids and maybe compress the highs to keep the clarity.

Here is my dirty bass sound I got through the BBE. Sorry for the potato quality audio.

It's 2 tracks, one hpf and one lpf. the hpf is distorted the lpf is just heavily compressed. So the low 80hz stuff is clean and the higher 500+ stuff is distorted.

The most important link in this chain though is the American Jazz with Pro Steel strings. Nickel doesn't "ping" nearly as well as steel does.

Back