My studio... equipment

Benreturns

Well ive had my studio up and running for a coupla weeks now, Tascam 488mkII, multi effects unit, comrpessor, samson studio condenser mic, active monitors. Yeah baby! All coming good and thanx to the support in here I should be sending off my demo's soon.
What i'd like to know is - looking at that list above is there anything you consider im missing? I like what i have and and produce good stuff (by my ears), but is there anything you lot couldnt personally do without that might benifit my recording? Enhancers? good pre-amps (i use the portastudio's at the mo)... anything??
Im gettin a CD-RW soon btw. I see pics of peoples studios jam packed with racks. My rack has 3 things on it including a two track cassette deck for mastering...

Thanks all.

you seem to have everything need to start knocking out stuff....do demos and then post them and people will give you other ideas...maybe not so much about buying new stuff but tweaking what you already have....my rack only has my compressor...everything else is done through the comp

That hiss could be the mic Ben. Samson condensors aren't renowned for being among the quietest in the World :(

And the hum could be 50/60 Hz from all the electricity supplies for your equipment (or from other electrical sources).

Hmmm food for thought. Is there anyway to quieten down that electrical hum? Or is that a stooopid question.

Can you reccomend any better mics? Can you get them JUST to pick up your vocals and not the room static. I thought it may have been the pre-amps on the 488.

If you want a mic that will just pick up what it's pointed at and not every other little sound you need a dynamic.

Or to just turn the Pre' down ;)

Back