My problem with the other mic........

jerberson12

mucis procedure
Setup 1
AKG Perception 820 Tube Condenser Mic -> Mic's own power supply -> Digidesign Mic Preamp (phantompower off) -> audio interface

Setup 2
MXL V67 Condenser -> Digidesign Mic Preamp (phantom power on) -> audio interface

-Setup 1 stated from the mic's manual that I dont need to turn on the phantom power on the preamp since tube mics has already its own power supply.
-both mics are cardioid
-vocal recording technique from each setup are the same, mouth distance from the mic are both the same.
-AKG 820 is way more expensive than my V67
-Setup 2 is a more typical recording chain

Problem
-My room is not treated very well so I will definitely get some room reflection during recording, but how come setup 1 picks up a lot of room reflection than setup 2?
Is there something wrong in setup 1 chain? Does that I mean tube mics needs tube preamp or not necessarily?

You can hear a lot of room reflection, wind hissing, PC fan noise, etc on setup 1, but setup 2 recordings are more quiet and solid.

Especially on acoustic guitar, you will get an airy sound on setup 1 than setup 2 even both placements are the same.

Please check attached mp3....
first performance is from setup 1, second performance is from setup 2

Thnx

Attachments

• Testing.mp3
    553.5 KB · Views: 17
The 820 has switchable pickup patterns, my guess is you have it on omnidirectional.

That's what I suspect, but not that I set it to Omni and didnt know about it. I think the switch is broken and stuck at OMNI. I tested all the polar pattern and theres no difference. I even tried singing at the back of the mic and set it to Cardioid and it still recording my vocals clearly. So much for buying a cheap used item from Ebay grrr!

Back