My drummer makes me sick!

yea, thats what everyone else tells us.

I personally hate drummers, you can't pratice or write songs whllle the little shit is banging on the drums. UHHHHH

We will probably get a album done then recruite a drummer for gigs. But we will have both, midi drummer and live drummer. watch the drummer say my drum machine isn't on beat....

Oh yeh, definitely don't want a drummer around when you're writing.

If a band is like a taxi then the drummer is the taxi driver...essential to get where you want to go, but you give him the directions and control where he takes you and don't expect him to know where you're going in advance ;-)

Hey - any drummers, only joking, my best mate in the band is the drummer and I have known some drummers who were writers too.

Kingston.... I'd consider Neil Peart to be a bit of a writer.... and he can sort of keep a beat too

No drummer has a built in metronome. Sorry, doesn't happen.

If staying in tempo is an issue,then buy a PEM and send him a click track of the sings from an Aux send.

Nothing worse than rushing a set. When we play out, bet your ass the drummer will have a click track in his ear or a light bar that triggers off the click track sitting in front of him. ;)

Im a drummer and I jam with a number of good friends. But most of the recording is ME...all instruments and vocals are ME. If I leave myself i'll be finished.:eek:

Stealthtech said:
Im a drummer and I jam with a number of good friends. But most of the recording is ME...all instruments and vocals are ME. If I leave myself i'll be finished.:eek:

but can you stay on beat?

Drummers I can tolerate, its those dam "IM better then the rest of the Band Singer/frontmen" that really jerk my strings...lol. PS. this does not include singer/songwriters...different breed all together.

Well the front men are the ones who will determine whether your band are succesful or not. The three biggest local bands are the ones with lead singers that have that certain something that women go for, slim, good looks and a gravelly voice. The women go to see the bands for that reason and where women go the men follow so you have a packed venue and a happy bar manager/owner. Sigh...what can you do if you are not born with that certain something that women go for - don't ask me i don't have it! Being good musicians is just not enough in rock/pop music, though its fine in jazz.

Drummers can be ugly as hell, as long as they keep that beat and have the 'full of himself' front man out there to distract the eyeballs.

BTW you are right, I haven't known any drummers who write well, I was just bullshitting to make drummers feel better!

glynb said:

BTW you are right, I haven't known any drummers who write well, I was just bullshitting to make drummers feel better!

Writing is in the mind and imagination.
Does'nt matter what instrument you play, anyone can be capable of writing good lyrics.

My drummer and I write all the music. I pretty much write the lyrics and the main riff but he helps fill in the gaps. I don't think that's a logical thing to say that drummers can't write music... it's pretty much a stupid thing to say!;)

Well,

Went onto the next song. Been a while since he played it, so it took a couple of takes before he was happy. The stuff he pulled off in that take blew me away.

Ah well, he's admitted once everyone else is done recording, he will probably go back and redo the drums to fully fit the feel of the song when everything else is in place.

He also plays guitar quite well and is a key factor in writing the music, even from behind his kit. His timing suggestions have given whole new vibes to rhythm sections and solo's alike.

Not all drummers have the mentality of a rock ;)

I like drummers, my best friend is one!

13th_Omen said:
I don't think that's a logical thing to say that drummers can't write music... it's pretty much a stupid thing to say!;)
You're right, but I didn't say they COULDN'T, I just said I'd never KNOWN any personaly.

But then i don't get out much!

Interesting. Our drummer has problems keeping the beat as well. How do you go about breaking that to the guy? We thougt about giving him a metronome or something but it just seems like it would be a slap in the face.

:D how do you know a drummer is at your front door? the knock speeds up! what do you call a guy that hangs out with a bunch of musicians? a drummer. just kidding!! i know tons of drummers, i love drummers when it comes to playing live. a great drummer makes the band, no doubt about it. but they are like guitar players, it takes years to figure out dynamics.

no drummer has a built in metronome

I'd have to disagree that with alien that no drummers have built in metronomes... I think any good drummer has to. If they don't, they're gonna lose the beat. Not to say that anyone can play at 130BPM on command or anything, but a good drummer can definately keep the same tempo going for a very long time (until they get bored and quit) What drummers play to click tracks when giggin' anyways!? !?

glynb said:
Well the front men are the ones who will determine whether your band are succesful or not. The three biggest local bands are the ones with lead singers that have that certain something that women go for, slim, good looks and a gravelly voice. The women go to see the bands for that reason and where women go the men follow so you have a packed venue and a happy bar manager/owner. Sigh...what can you do if you are not born with that certain something that women go for - don't ask me i don't have it! Being good musicians is just not enough in rock/pop music, though its fine in jazz.

Drummers can be ugly as hell, as long as they keep that beat and have the 'full of himself' front man out there to distract the eyeballs.

And music IS afterall, all about a certain visual look and getting chicks! :D And also, drummers aren't real musicians anyway, they should learn how to strum those three chords and sing in a raspy voice if they want to be REAL musicians.

Drummers just waste their time working out ideas for intricate rhythm patterns with all four of their limbs playing differet rhythms with each limb and tryng to augment what a self-centered all self-important "diva" stringplucker and crooner
is doing usually off the beat anyway. While couterpointing what the other musicians are doing and getting blamed for not being in the beat when more often than not it's the guitar player or singer that fucked up the beat because they decided to sustain that one damn note that they thought in their minds was just friggin' GOLD and should ring out for ages!

Most good drummers began by playing other instruments and settled on the drums because they are just the "coolest" instrument. In traditional West African music which I play a lot of, the drums play the lead and the melodic instruments play accompaniment. The drummers usualy carry the tune by singing
as they play.

Drums and percussion were the first instruments. Man made those first because they are the most important!:D You guys are just jealouse!!

Why not try taking off the damn headphones for a while,stop thinking in terms of multi-track overdubbing and actually play together a bit. It's amazing what can happen when you learn "to play well with other children".

But you don't have to listen to me....I'm just a
stupid drummer.

j7b.

A drummer that can't keep the beat is someone who bought a drum set and was let into a band with his/her friends. It's like guitarists for nu metal bands. If you can't play an insturment you shouldn't be subjecting other people to your lack of skills by playing in a giggin' band. Spend hours upon days upon years of practice, then think about being in a band.

Back