MUSE (the u.k band) WOW!

gez

Anyone know ANYTHING about how these guys record, where, with who at the controls, pro tools or analog, etc?
I'd love to know about how they get that FANTASTIC sound, especially the newer stuff.
Cheers!

Mmmm, I'll suss it out when I get their new album next week, and check out the credits on the sleeve.

They might have a very good sound as a band, but the "Absolution" CD sounds like dogshit because of utterly crap mastering.

It's a damn shame!

Han, how do you justify that comment on the mastering? Were you honoured with the privelage of hearing the tracks before they were mastered? If not, then how do you know they're not supposed to sound like that? How do you know that world renowned mastering engineer Howie Weinberg (Masterdisk, New York) has ruined the sound, and in which respect?
Just wondering if you could enlighten us as we'd all be interested to hear where Howie's going wrong, and which of his techniques he needs to change?

I can hear it because I do mastering too. It sounds like a cassette recorder in overload. Normalized and maximized like hell.

I listened to it last week and couldn't stand the sound longer than a few minutes, and I'm used to listen more than eight hours a day.

This is the worst sound I've heard in a long time. I can not imagine that an intelligent band like Muse has chosen for this sound, it's more a typical A&R thing.

Sorry, but that's just my humble opinion.

Look at this: http://rvcc2.raritanval.edu/ktek9053/cdpage/

wow, just downloaded their new mp3s, realy good sound!!

Gonna buy the CD when I get a chance. Awsome, thanks for the headsup

Al

How do you know I'm used to crap sound at all? Remember I haven't even HEARD this album yet! If I wanted to be insulted by a wanker I'd go for a pint with my brother thanks.

Han said:
Something wrong with the ears, or are you guys so used to crap sound that you got to like it?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=015304

maybe you have been exposed to alot better stuff, but to my half-assed prosumer ears, I really dig the sound (judging from mp3s for now tho) I can imagine this album with more detailed highs, but I like how it is with the music:) I never liked the sound Phish or Radiohead get, but they somehow manage to make their music sounding good, weird...

Al

i only have muscle museum, but there is some serious brilliance on that album.

muse is typically compared to radiohead because of the singer's voice somewhat resembling thom yorke's. their style definately differs, though.

OK, got the album today, and you've got a point Han. It sounds great on my little home stereo, but at the studio it's a bit fucked. Average loudness is -8dB!!! It's almost always at zero!
Still a good album though, shame about the A+R man!
Cheers.

I get what you mean by average loudness but how did you determine that? Was it a program you have or just a guestimation from meters?

Yes I did use a program, Wavelab 4's analasys. Further investigation found LOTS of clipping!

gez said:
Yes I did use a program, Wavelab 4's analasys. Further investigation found LOTS of clipping!

Record the album digitally to Cool Edit Pro or whatever you have.
Look at your monitor, what do you see? Dynamics, or something like a big flat green bar?

Zoom in, can you see the clipping? That's today's mastering and you can't even blame the mastering engineer because he is forced to do it. He has the choice to smash the material or have no work at all.

Now get an old CD from the early nineties or late eighties.
Deja Vu by CSN&Y, Moving Pictures by Rush, Something from Queen or whatever.

Listen carefully, it's not loud at all, even rather soft, but can you hear the transients of the ride cymbal? I bet you can.

Now record this digitally and look at your monitor. Zoom in, can you see those trancients? Very high, short, but fast peaks and they sound wonderful.

Next listen (if you have the chance) to a huge concert grand piano if you are standing next to it.

Next go to a concert hall, you don't have to like the music, but listen to the sound of a symphony orchestra, talking about dynamics?

I bet many of you guys never had such an experience.

Today's "sound quality" sucks.

The best sounding recordings are from the mid sixties, listen for example to Frank Sinatra's "It was a very good year", recorded april 22 1965.

Go a step further, listen to the SACD of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", recorded in 1959. You will be astonished about the quality.

That's how music used to sound a long time ago.

Han said:
Record the album digitally to Cool Edit Pro or whatever you have.
Look at your monitor, what do you see? Dynamics, or something like a big flat green bar?

Zoom in, can you see the clipping?

Now get an old CD from the early nineties or late eighties.

Now record this digitally and look at your monitor. Zoom in, can you see those trancients? Very high, short, but fast peaks and they sound wonderful.

a few jpegs of what your seeing trancients wise would be nice, thanks...

Back