Mono vs Stereo Recording

mindwave_21

I guess the topic explains it all. I'm recording to my computer, and have the option if doing mono or stereo. I think the only noticable difference is if all the tracks are mono, the mixdown will be mono and vice versa for stereo recordings. What happens If I blend mono and stereo (I'm assuming the mixdown becomes stereo). I'm asking because when I click stereo, the mic input just sends in the same input to both channels. What do you need stereo for anyways? If you want 2 separate inputs, why not make them separate tracks instead of the one? Sorry for the noob question, but this has kinda confused me for the past few weeks.

Does the LR in XLR have anything to do with left and right?

Stereo actually comes from a Greek root meaning "solid": stereo recordings are supposed to sound like the source is real. You are right: recording a mono source in stereo doesn't do much other than doubling the amount of hard drive space used for the sound file. Where stereo shines is when you record several sources and pan them across the field so it sounds like a group. So if you have 2 separate sources, pan them L + R and it'll sound more realistic (apologies to Radio Shack).

XLR is a trademark of ITT-Cannon. It stands for "X-series with Latch in a Rubber compound" (the capitalized words are the "XLR". Here's a great source of basic information about all this stuff: http://www.rane.com/digi-dic.html
Hope this helps.

mindwave_21 said:
I think the only noticable difference is if all the tracks are mono, the mixdown will be mono...

That's not the case. In a multi-track recording environment you will eventually mixdown to a single stereo track. Using mono tracks and panning them to various positions in the stereo field is the norm.

Back