mono vocal single track . will it work .

maxman65

Ok. Assume following :
Neutral environment
Lewitt 440 pure mic
Good mic placement
Dp008ex 8 track recorder
Decent vocal performance
Moderate preset compression (nothing too technical please )
One Single track

Can you get a satisfactory result in this way . Or Any other suggestions (don't really buy into double vocal takes of the same melodic content ) many thanks

If the mic flatters the particular voice and piece of music, sure. The most concerning thing to me is using a compression preset. Compression should be tailored to the specific recording and desired outcome.

Yeah I think you can edit the presets . I noticed vocal preset 2 was pretty aggressive . You can hear the hiss ramping up and waiting . Its difficult because although it makes everything very forward and present sounding its potentially way harsh . Vocal 1 preset sounded more moderate .I'm hoping the mic itself will be a significant improvement on those internal mics provided in the dp008ex unit .

Those internal mics are just for convenient capture of ideas, like having a note pad handy to write lyric ideas. They're not really for finished recordings.

Yes I would agree with that. What concerns me is whether the recording unit itself has some kind of inherent limitation with respect to its preamp or digital converter / circuitry . In other words whether the full benefit of a quality external large diapragm condenser mic is compromised at the point of entry so to speak. I've asked this question many times and it's difficult to find a difinitive answer

Yes I would agree with that. What concerns me is whether the recording unit itself has some kind of inherent limitation with respect to its preamp or digital converter / circuitry . In other words whether the full benefit of a quality external large diapragm condenser mic is compromised at the point of entry so to speak. I've asked this question many times and it's difficult to find a difinitive answer

That's going to be partially subjective. What preamp sounds good with a particular mic is a matter of taste. But for the most part I bet a good mic will work pretty well on that unit. You have the option to get a separate preamp and connect to the line input of the recorder.

Yes this is where it gets less difinitive . One person suggested that a cheap preamp in between would likely be less effective than units own preamp . I guess without owning one or having tascam technical input ( I've tried that) it's maybe a question of try it and see (somewhat less than ideal )

I guess at least what is implicit is that in this unit providing xlr and 48v by design is that an external mic would likely be advantageous over the internal mics in the unit

It's all very subjective, isn't it? The old saying is, "If it sounds good, it is good." I never compress a vocal on the way in--this is the second school of thought on this matter. I do have an outboard compressor, but that's only for bass. Vocals are compressed after the recording.

Greetings Maxman65,

Upon reading your follow up statement, "Yeah I think you can edit the presets," I reviewed my DP008EX manual--new unit, still in box, so not hands-on with it yet. (I've been learning my DP24SD at present.)

As I understand pages 61-68, you can add the same preset effect selections during mix-down or mastering rather than only while recording, which in the latter approach you cannot undo the selections.

I didn't get too in depth in reading (for this reply), but page 65 seems to indicate that if in Mastering mode you can listen first to various effect selections (presets meaning engineered as predetermined in degree of effect, not meaning presetting only before recording as their only use, politely mentioned) then apply what you choose. However, you cannot undo selections once applied in Mastering mode as the manual seems to state.

Of possible interest to you, at the very end of page 65 (under Note), it seems to indicate that using the Mixdown mode (rather than Mastering mode) allows you to undo your effect selections once applied (in Mixdown)--please, be sure on this latter point (by trying it by experimenting) before undertaking a multitrack project, saving you effort if I am incorrect even though it is plainly stated.

You also have Manual mode application of effects (it appears) rather than only preset selections. However, by trying different predetermined settings (presets), it may give you an better idea of how each effect indeed affects what is recorded--from there you may want to try manual applications to see if of benefit once understood of use, or simply stay with presets by using your ear for what is nearest what you want.

Depending on your intentions, if presets works fine for your desired goals there is no reason to get into the more technical aspect of using effects manually though equalizing would be important I would imagine.

Some learning suggestions about your unit:

You may enjoy reading the Tascam forum section on this site.

Suggestively, if you go to YouTube and search Phil Tipping Tascam, you'll find a thorough instructional series on the DP24SD. It should overlap in above applications for adapting to the DP008EX.

Welcome to your Home Recording forum, JeffF.

Last edited:
Back