Mono/stereo problem in recording and afterwards!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFromGreece

Hello guys! Glad to meet experts in sound!!!

I have problem when converting mono to stereo and generally copying sound from one channel to another(left to right or right to left).

Ok, lets start! My guitar amp has two line out. One is called "speaker" and I guess its monophonic. The other is "headphones" and this must be stereo.

I use a cable from the "speaker" line out into my pc card line in. My guitar is heard from one channel/speaker. I record my guitar in the left or right channel of my pc card and the recording sound is good!

Now... lets say I recorded my guitar in the left channel. When I try to copy the recorded sound from left to right channel(using a program), the sound gets bad and unclean! Its not that awful but its not clean and atmospheric! Its somehow heavier but not clean. It isnt expanded and is centered.

So I have a better quality when I make mono recordings and converting mono to stereo doesnt give me a good sound.

Due to the problem I cant make a good stereo recording, I use the trick of recording separately to each channel. First I record to left channel, then to right. So 1st guitar is heard from left channel and 2nd/solo guitar is heard from the right. The outcome is good and atmospheric(I dont know if this is called a stereo sound), but each guitar is only in one channel.

I noticed that some 60's groups made the same type of recording as I do.

So please help me guys. At least, how can I copy sound from left to right or right to left without ruining the sound? How can the channels include both guitars with a good sound?

When I merge the channels, the guitars sound bad. When one guitar is only in the left and the other is only in the right, they sound good!

HELP ME!!!!!!!

If it doesnt appeal here, please move it to mix discussion:eek: but I have the same bad centered sound when I try to instantly record in 2 channels rather than 1.

What DAW are you using? You should be selecting a MONO track when recording, it sounds like you are recording to a stereo track.

STOP!!!!

The speaker output is for driving a speaker. It puts out way too much power for your sound card to handle. You could start a fire.

The headphone out will be mono as well, with the same signal being sent to both speakers.

Your amp is mono, there is nothing you can do to change that. Your confusion is with the daw giving you the choice between recording with mono or stereo tracks. Just because you use a stereo track, it doesn't mean that you are recording in stereo. It's just there so you can capture a stereo source in stereo.

You have a mono source. The best way to make it stereo is to record it to a mono track and play it again, then pan the two mono performances away from each other.

You would also be better off getting a microphone and micing the speaker, but it's important to get the recording method down first.

You also don't need to merge the channels. Record each guitar part on a mono track and pan each mono track where ever you want that guitar to be.

When you have all the instruments recorded and placed where you want them in the mix, then just render the mix. You didn't say what daw you are using, so we can't tell you specifically how to mix it out.

(using a program)

What software are you using?

You don't need to "record to the left (or right) channel, just record a mono track. Then during playback use the pan control to move the mono track where you want it in the stereo mix.

Generally speaking, if you want a stereo effect from a mono amp with one performance you need to use two mics on the amp in a nice sounding room. Stereo means there's a difference between left and right, but if you copy and paste the same performance there's no difference so the track will just sound loud and centered.

Due to the problem I cant make a good stereo recording, I use the trick of recording separately to each channel. First I record to left channel, then to right. So 1st guitar is heard from left channel and 2nd/solo guitar is heard from the right. The outcome is good and atmospheric(I dont know if this is called a stereo sound), but each guitar is only in one channel.

This is double tracking and it's the usual way people get wide stereo guitars.

STOP!!!!

The speaker output is for driving a speaker. It puts out way too much power for your sound card to handle. You could start a fire.

Maybe, but I suspect it's a speaker emulated line output. It sure would be nice to know the brand and model of amp and the type of software he's using.

STOP!!!!
You have a mono source. The best way to make it stereo is to record it to a mono track and play it again, then pan the two mono performances away from each other.

This is what Im doing.

I record the guitar in the left channel and then Im making a 2nd recording, trying to play the same thing and moving it on the right channel. Its a little bit tiring to make 2 recs instead of 1 and my solos are heard only from one speaker/channel.

The output is good, but I guess this is not stereo because I have 2 different guitars separately.

Im wondering how professional groups can have a guitar in both channels sounding good.

When Im trying to copy from left to right or right to left, it sounds too centered and not very good. An organ is now in both channels but it doesnt sound that clean and wide as before(when it was heard from one channel/speaker only)

I have tried to record from microphones output(this is stereo) but it doesnt sound very clean as in speaker output(this is mono).

I also dont think its a matter of what recording type I choose(mono or stereo). If I just use one cable from amp's "speaker line out" I will have a stereo file, but one channel will be empty.

Hmmm, I havent tested using two cables(instead of one) from amp's monophonic speaker line out into my pc's line in! Of course this requires an adapter 2 in 1.

Anyway, I dont understand why it sounds bad when I copy an organ from a channel to another. It's too centered and not clean. I have tried "delay", copying for example at 0:00:50 or 0:00:100 instead of 0:00:000 of the other channel, but I dont see much difference. It still sounds dark and centered!

I have no problem with fire! The volume is set correctly and I have no problem with bad distortion or even risk of damaging my card!

Can somebody figure out what's going on? I think someone said that stereo is difference between left and right. Then, why do I listen the same guitar in both channels from my favorite artists?

When someone tries to make a stereo mix with my songs, they sound bad!

I dont understand why it comes out bad when you want the same organ(in this case the guitar) in both channels!:eek:

You are NEVER listening to the same guitar in both left and right channels. IF it were the same guitar it would sound like it was in the center. It's either seperate guitars, or delay added, or reverbs, or eq differences, etc. But to have it sound left and right there has to be a difference.

As to your issues, i think there's something wrong with your basic recording skills or your setup.

You are NEVER listening to the same guitar in both left and right channels. IF it were the same guitar it would sound like it was in the center. It's either seperate guitars, or delay added, or reverbs, or eq differences, etc. But to have it sound left and right there has to be a difference.

As to your issues, i think there's something wrong with your basic recording skills or your setup.

Is it really separate? Can you give an example of a song? I think I hear the same guitar in both speakers.

Hmm, you might be right that they make tricks to fool you.

If you are correct, theres nothing wrong with my recording, do guitarists make mono recordings and then merge them?

So, I should delete the one guitar and make effects with the other after copying it to the other channel?

I thought stereo is 2 instead of 1 for expanding your listening pleasure, not a difference in channels. Can you show me the difference in a well known song?

In a mix, mono is the same signal coming out of both channels. Stereo is created by the difference between what is coming from the left and righthe channels.

Copying and pasting doesn't do anything that the pan controller set to the center doesn't do.

There are some fundamentals of production that you are missing.

You mentioned earlier that it was 'tiring'
recording two guitar parts, so you wanted to record just one and copy it.

Thats just lazy.
If some one wants to call themselves a musician, then they should do what musicians do. PLAY.
:D

Also in the recording process you'll get better results playing the guitar part twice.

Last edited:
In a mix, mono is the same signal coming out of both channels. Stereo is created by the difference between what is coming from the left and righthe channels.

Copying and pasting doesn't do anything that the pan controller set to the center doesn't do.

Ok, I will make experiments to see if what youre saying is true.

So according to you, stereo is always difference. Does this happens even in vocals and drums? Do you hear any difference in drums and vocals?

Anyway, I dont think its true for an artist to alter his sound with effects. Anyway I'll try and I will inform you about the results.

Should I delete one guitar from the two and make experiments with the one only? I think it will be noisy to make stereo with two guitars, each one in both channels.

I make at least 10 recordings and choose the 2 best, then correcting mistakes too.

Anyway I'll try your method to see if what you say is true.

But do you think its true to alter your sound?

I will try coping pasting a guitar from one channel to another and then using effects, eqs, delays...
But I will have an altered fake sound, not what I played.

Question.
Do you think my type of recording is out of date and only group of 60's made it? I still listen to some recordings that in some instances have guitar only in 1 channel.

You seem to be in a state of disbelief in what people who aren't having troubles are telling you. Yet it is you who is having trouble. You act like you think we're lying to you.

As to just one guitar. There is nothing wrong with that or is it 'out of date'. But often on professional recordings you'll hear the one guitar in one channel and hear it's reverb in the other channel. This gives a sense of space.

For dual left and right guitars, do this experiment. Listen to some of your favorite bands.
On your stereo, using your balance control, turn it to the left and listen to the guitar. Then turn it to the right and listen to the guitar. You'll find they are indeed different.

This is right ^

I think your getting hung up on.....what stereo is technically i.e.. a difference between the two speakers.

Your old school thinking, it's in stereo "coming out of both speakers"

Trying to get on track to help you. Somethings wrong with the way your setup. If you record a mono source it should automatically be coming out both speakers Pan @ 0.

Different point, sometimes people might copy and paste the same recording, slightly offsetting it to create an stereo effect. Rarely if ever are you going to want to do this. I could ramble on forever it probably won't help, so

I want to point you in the direction that helped me, tweakheadz guide, God rest his soul. Read through the links on the left it's a perfect place to start.

Tweakheadz · Guide To Home And Project Music Studios

Last edited:
A drum set will be in stereo. Each drum will be miced and recorded on a mono track. The kick and snare will be panned to the center. The toms will be slightly panned left and right of center.the two overheads will be panned wide. You.will hear the hat on one side and the ride on the other.

If you only have one vocal, it will be panned center. If you have background vocals or stacks of vocals, the individual parts will generally be panned all over the place.

Stereo is what gives the sense of space of the mix. This is created by the differences in what you hear on the left and right. If there is no difference between the signals on the left and right, it's mono, even if the sound is coming from both speakers.

As to just one guitar. There is nothing wrong with that or is it 'out of date'. But often on professional recordings you'll hear the one guitar in one channel and hear it's reverb in the other channel. This gives a sense of space.

I think I have done it and it sounded good. I chose both channels, even if one was empty, and put reverb. Then I noticed that the once empty channel gained the reverbed sound of the first.
Of course you mean not copying pasting, but just creating reverb on the other channel, dont you?

Can you give any good ideas for creating good stereo? What tricks are you doing with channels to create what you call "stereo"?

Will there be too much noise if both channels are already full? As I said, I have recorded each guitar in one channel. 1st guitar is only on the left channel, 2nd/solo guitar is only on the right.

So if I try to make stereo..let's say... with 1st guitar, and make its' reverb on the right channel, I will still have 2nd guitar on the right channel. Will it be too noisy?

Do you think its better to have only one (stereo) guitar in both channels, instead of two?

Thanks for the advices.

I make at least 10 recordings and choose the 2 best, then correcting mistakes too.

Anyway I'll try your method to see if what you say is true.

But do you think its true to alter your sound?

I will try coping pasting a guitar from one channel to another and then using effects, eqs, delays...
But I will have an altered fake sound, not what I played.

Question.
Do you think my type of recording is out of date and only group of 60's made it? I still listen to some recordings that in some instances have guitar only in 1 channel.
Are there two different questions going here? The opening post was 'copy and paste -to create 'stereo but sounding bad, but also you are double tracking? (-recording several versions and picking the best for the stereo effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back