monitoring help and master tape

Freak Scene

two questions. i have a fostex x-12 four track. i wanna double my elec guitar tracks, but whenever i wanna lay down the second track, the sound from the amp always overpowers the 1st track that i am trying to monitor to keep in time with. does anybody know how i can push the volume of the first track up, and keep the one being recorded down? i have to keep on te headphones to keep in time, but it is loud and harsh, its impossible to get done right. the only way so far is to record with the amp on very low, but cranking sounds much better.

also, the tape deck i am mixing down onto belongs to my friends dad, its from the 70's and in pretty good condition, but my mastet tapes are always a little bit down in pitch, i cannot always play along with them. my dad has a friend who fixes radios and things like these. should i have him look at it?

thanks in advance for any help.

I would say you should lay down a click track to play along with, or just turn up the other track. What about panning one to the left and the other to the right?

Back