Monitoring with headphones

Not to mention a lot of younger listeners do most of their listening with earbuds. Yeah, that's sad. But I want to know how my mix is going to sound to them.

That depends on the earbuds. I have a pair of Focal Sphear earbuds for my desk at work (and travel), and they're REALLY good for single driver under $100 on Amazon. I'd say they're better than the full size Sennheiser HD280s I used to have, and more comfortable.

That depends on the earbuds. I have a pair of Focal Sphear earbuds for my desk at work (and travel), and they're REALLY good for single driver under $100 on Amazon. I'd say they're better than the full size Sennheiser HD280s I used to have, and more comfortable.

Still no cross bleed.

Still no cross bleed.

Very little bleed/spill (if that's what you're asking? stating?). I think in ear monitors would be closed, but I wasn't intending to replace my monitoring headphones so I went with the Focals instead at about half the price of the dual driver Westones I was looking at.

He's saying there's no cross-bleed between left and right so perception of panning and volume of central information is still skewed, I think.

Reading this Im starting to wonder if the stereo spread isnt old 1970's-80's and the new majority is earbuds and headphones?

no one in my house listens on speaker cabinets anymore, very rarely. its earbuds and headphones and the car.

maybe the home component hifi's are kind of a baby boomer thing?

He's saying there's no cross-bleed between left and right so perception of panning and volume of central information is still skewed, I think.

That's still something that can be worked out though, if you work around your notes of the problems on you setups

Reading this Im starting to wonder if the stereo spread isnt old 1970's-80's and the new majority is earbuds and headphones?

no one in my house listens on speaker cabinets anymore, very rarely. its earbuds and headphones and the car.

maybe the home component hifi's are kind of a baby boomer thing?

The Dr. Z you turned me on to, is still going apeship over Fi beyond ear buds. Funny, he still says; "holy shit"

The dumb ass just got around to STAX ear speakers the last day or two
Z Review - STAX L500 & L700 (End-Game..FINALLY.. ) - YouTube

That's still something that can be worked out though, if you work around your notes of the problems on you setups

That's not true of phase/cancellation issues.
That's really what I meant in the first response - "no real information about how l+r info interact with each other".

That's not true of phase/cancellation issues.
That's really what I meant in the first response - "no real information about how l+r info interact with each other".

then again, That will more likely be one of the problems with room and speakers. At least we can move our head around the listening "space". As long as we see people sending MONO to Stereo speakers, we have to wonder what they are thinking

It's not a consistent or guaranteed issue.
The issue with headphones is.

Yes.
Because with speakers, your left ear still hears the right channel, and the other way around. And everything in between. And all around you.

With earbuds or headphones you are eliminating all of that.
You're plugging up your ears so you only hear what is being pumped into that one ear.

With earbuds you are practically sticking a sound source into your ear canal

Open back headphones are a bit better, but are still blocking the way both ears hear the stereo soundscape.

Not saying it 'can't' be done, but this is the reason mixing on headphones is not generally a good idea.

If you counted the rooms, how many fingers would that be without ;

"That's not true of phase/cancellation issues.
That's really what I meant in the first response - "no real information about how l+r info interact with each other"".

For some amount of time (? 18=months ?), I had my little tannoy firing back about 2-foot through two ? 10-inch ? hardware spaces on either side of my screen. It had its own little filter on what bad effects got to my ears . That might of been more headphone like ! hah

"Because with speakers, your left ear still hears the right channel, and the other way around. And everything in between".

But that will be more of a issue on closely spaced speakers with close reflective surfaces (and dome tweets). If anyone cares about it, they can setup so things don't bounce around so much

"Because with speakers, your left ear still hears the right channel, and the other way around. And everything in between".

But that will be more of a issue on closely spaced speakers with close reflective surfaces (and dome tweets). If anyone cares about it, they can setup so things don't bounce around so much

No. Just, no. Even in an anechoic chamber with any kind of tweeter you want to use, there will be cross bleed. The direct path, not just reflections, from a speaker to the opposite ear is what you miss out on with headphones or earbuds.

No, it was noticeably absent in the setup I just described. Where I sit right now, it's not like anyone could miss the effect people are harping on. It is real enough, but I don't always setup where its a factor

If you're gonna quote me, give me credit rather than just have it in quotation marks.

But onto your rebuttal of my quote.
Nope.

Close spaced, far spaced don't matter. Your ears still hear in a 360 degree pattern. You can tell where sound is coming from, how close or far away. If it's in front of you or behind you.

All I'm saying is that phones eliminate that ability. It is the aural equivalent of putting blinders on a horse.

"It is the aural equivalent of putting blinders on a horse".

It is the same with speakers. We would have to do that with speakers back in the mid-sixties to make them reproduce like headphones.

Maybe that sounds odd-ball, but Making Stereo, rather than recording Stereo was still experimental. Laying flat in bed with phones means you can't move around too much, yet with speakers an inch from each ear you can move for comfort a bit more
stereo-lays-an-egg.jpg

What??!! Lol :D

With headpones on in bed you can move around alot. They're attached to your head and you have an average 10 feet of cord for mobility. With speakers an inch or so from your head, you move an inch or two and you bang your head into speakers.
:D :D

Btw long before I owned my first pair of headphones, I had a set of mini bookshelf speakers. They were about the size of the JBL control 1 monitors.
When I was supposed to go to sleep for school the next day, I'd lay in bed listening to Who's Next. The intro to Baba O'Riley was awesome!

Edit: I remember the Egg. Only the rich cool kids could afford them. That's why I had my bookshelf speakers in bed. :D

haha There was plenty of "deeper" music that required special attention to appreciate fully by '67. hahah
914ae270a210fa18ad3c3f26d22d6721.jpg

"It is the aural equivalent of putting blinders on a horse".

It is the same with speakers.

It's not.
Sorry man, not meaning to sound like an asshole but I'm not convinced we're all talking about the same thing.

Last edited:
Back