Monitor settings

Fusion2

for all of us who can't afford or are to tight to buy a decent set of monitors... are there any eq settings or adjustments that would help a good set of audio speakers act like, closer, mimic, etc, what a monitors primary function does...

i'm sure a few tech/users here over the years may have noticed factors that might enhance or actually help allow general speakers to desern better good from bad audio when used as monitors...

thanks... i think ;)

Last edited:
short answer: no.

long answer: almost certainly not.

sorry to be of no help, but that's really what it comes down to.

bleyrad said:

long answer: almost certainly not.

since your views contain "almost" you won't mind if i let the thread ride a bit further... thanks...

i'm not saying "replace" more like, help, enhance, to hear and determan better, settings, etc...

well, you could always try using EQ, and if it helps you mix well then more power to you, but in general it usually just ends up screwing things up. there was a guy hanging around here a while ago that ignited a huge flaming thread by saying that he used EQ on his speakers and it sounded great and he didn't need monitors. most people didn't believe him because of all that's theoretically wrong with using EQ on speakers (basically, you muck around with phase, you don't make up for other inadequacies such as bass tightness - you'll probably just make that worse - and since the speakers are only designed to be capable of so much at certain frequencies, you'll probably increase distortion quite significantly even at lower levels). there are other problems too, a whole list of them.

that said, you can try it, and it might help you. but probably not. and it will never ever be nearly as good as a good set of monitors - unless the speakers you're using are great to begin with, of course.

bleyrad said:
well, you could always try using EQ, and if it helps you mix well then more power to you, but in general it usually just ends up screwing things up. there was a guy hanging around here a while ago that ignited a huge flaming thread by saying that he used EQ on his speakers and it sounded great and he didn't need monitors. most people didn't believe him because of all that's theoretically wrong with using EQ on speakers (basically, you muck around with phase, you don't make up for other inadequacies such as bass tightness - you'll probably just make that worse - and since the speakers are only designed to be capable of so much at certain frequencies, you'll probably increase distortion quite significantly even at lower levels). there are other problems too, a whole list of them.

that said, you can try it, and it might help you. but probably not. and it will never ever be nearly as good as a good set of monitors - unless the speakers you're using are great to begin with, of course.

this question/issue most likely has been hashed over a zillion times but i see questions simi related to it offten on this fourm and doing a search at certain times takes quite a while,

(There are too many people logged in right now so the server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later. Sorry!)

thanks again, your views and suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
There is a way to "tune" your speakers. This is usually used to tune the room, but in your case it might work. It basically involves running a spectrum analyzer to find the frequency and adjusting towards a flat frequency response. I really have not done this and couldn't tell you how at the moment but someone who knows ight be able to help here. I did initially read about it on this site so search for "spectrum analyzer" might turn up the thread.

13th_Omen said:
There is a way to "tune" your speakers. This is usually used to tune the room, but in your case it might work. It basically involves running a spectrum analyzer to find the frequency and adjusting towards a flat frequency response. I really have not done this and couldn't tell you how at the moment but someone who knows ight be able to help here. I did initially read about it on this site so search for "spectrum analyzer" might turn up the thread.

that sounds right, match or get as close as possible to a monitors spec eq spectrum, humm, good call 13th... ;)

could someone with decent monitors post jpeg if my assuming these assumptions are correct, thanks....

Last edited:
Even if you eq your monitors (which I highly recomend against) you need to use very good eq's which should run you several thousand dollars. Of course this begs the question, "why should you use really expensive eq's on low end monitors?" Time to go by expensive monitors. Spectrum analyzers are very expensive. The software versions suck, but If you decide to use the software versions then you need really good converters. You need a sine wave generator, pink noise, etc. The software versions suck, but if you use the software version of these, again you need really good converters. The trick is treating your room to get a flat frequency response at the mix position. The proper use of asbortion, diffusion, perhaps bass traps, etc. oh, a good measurement mic is expensive too. Not to mention the painstaking data entry and a good spreadsheet program to calculate your data really helps. A good option is to try to find a place to rent all of this equipment. It really is worth the effort.

Plus if you try to E.Q. your room you don't want to use a Spectrum analyzer, becuase then you'll end up trying to E.Q. out room reflections and standing waves, what you'd want to do, if you wanted to try something is use some software (which works fine for this purpose) that uses Gated MLS and a mic calibration file for the mic (which aren't that expensive by the way) your going to use, and measure the speakers, plus most every bad thing posted above still applies.
In short, save your money and get some better speakers.

RTA/Room EQ

It sounds like you would not recommend the new Dbx Studio DriveRack--even on a decent pair of monitors.

so using someone else's correct room Spectrum to go by will not benifit my incorrect room as? er, is that right?

i'm a tad lost, heh, not unusual ;) i'm talking speaker/monitor Spectrum, i think? i agree the room is a factor but, but... :(

Back