mixing to cd-r

jnorman

can i mix down from my 4-track straight to CD-R (without going through a computer) using something like the phillips cdr765 (the dual-well cd recorder)? is this just like mixing to a DAT? is the signal converted to a *.wav file on the cd-r? is a mix on a cd-r just as acceptable to a mastering studio as a mix on DAT?

dragon says that machine requires a special type of blank CD, but the ad in musician's friend says that it supports regular CD-R and CD-RW discs. can you use normal CD-R discs in the phillips machines or not?

I always go to the source...in this case, it's http://www-us.sv.philips.com/sound/cdr/products/range/765/ which says:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Records and plays digital Audio CD-R and CD-RW discs
Plays all Audio CDs (120mm + 80 mm discs)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have the MF catalog in front of me (and it's not on their web site) but I suspect they wrote it in a similar manner. "Digital audio CD-R" sounds a lot like "regular CD-R" to many people, but trust me...it ain't!

And yes, it's just like mixing to a DAT. There are no WAV files made since that's just something invented for Windows computers! And yes, any mastering studio should accept a properly done CD-R, after all, it's the same music data as off a DAT, but since it is slightly different, it's always a good idea to check in advance.

the phillips cdr 765 and 880 do require a special type of *audio CD-R, and cannot use the type of CD-R normally used with computer cd-burners. so, do the tascam cd-rw5000 and the marantz cdr630 use normal cd-r discs, or do they also need those special audio-type cd-r's? where can you get the audio-type cd-r's?

jnorman,I achieved super results with my philips cd recorder,The music I recorded on my 488mkII was processed thru a BBe 262 sonic maximizer and the end result was very satisfying.A philips recorder uses cd's that are labeled,"recordable,for consumer" as you know.I suspected that the philips was the same as a dat,just with a cd. Rob

As so many have said in the past, check out the manuals or the company to be sure if a particular machine uses audio CD-R/RW. With Marantz and the TASCAM, I do believe that they MIGHT be able to use computer CD-R/RW. If they can, there is a catch. If it does not burn the CD to redbook specs, you can not play them on home stereo CD players (or in the car or boombox type either). Non redbook CDs play only on the CD recorder used to record them.

Peace, Jim

I can verify that the TASCAM CDRW5000 can burn to those buck a pop cheapie CDRs with no problem. And to the Cheapie CDRWs. And at least the CDRs made in audio format will play in any CD player.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 09-27-1999).]

I just purchased a Phillips 560 CD recorder.
I love it! I have already made CD's for my recording buddies. No computer needed, completely self standing, very light weight portable...and sounds fantastic! The Audio CD's are slightly more expensive than the others...
but I got a package of 30 for $49.99 that's less than $1.75 each! The sound is great..Hot..clear and exact duplicates of my masters. (I have only recorded digitally so far, I don't know how good an analog recording will be). I purchased it for the digital recording functions anyway.

I am Jazzed!

Dom Franco

Howdy

I use a Tascam RW5000 and it is fully compatible with all four types of CD. This deck is a little more expensive but you can walk in to any computer store and get blank CD's to record on.

HHB makes a unit that crushes the phillips thang. It's about as cheap too. HHB is good stuff. They make the best cd-r's I've used yet!!

Back